Retrospective Planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently knocked down an outside toilet and replaced it with a shed and an outsidetoilet in one building.

Block built and within planning regulations for an outside building not needing planning permission- or so i thought. Since completing the building the council was informed by someone living in the village of the new building so an inspector came round- took the necessary measurements and said it came well within the required maximum size for a outside building.

I recieved a letter today however saying i need retrospective planning permission as the building is within 5 metres of the orginal dwelling so is classed as an extension of the dwelling.

With the old outside toilet being within 5 metres of the original building do i have the right or ability to appeal against retrospective planning or not?

Cheers,
Kieron

Sponsored Links
an inspector came round- took the necessary measurements and said it came well within the required maximum size for a outside building.

Did you have this confirmed in writing?

Have a look at the rules/regulations, which relate to PD...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/hhg/houseguide.html

Do you think your works fall within PD (if you have PD rights on the property)? If so, then you could apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness for an existing use, which would attract a fee equivalent of that of a full planning application (i.e. approx. £150). If the Certificate was obtained prior to the works being carried out, then the fee would be 50% (i.e. approx. £75).

However, if the works do not come within PD and require PP, then yes... you will have to go down the normal routes in submitting an application and indicating the works have already started/been completed on the application form AND you do run the risk of the permission being refused and the works be removed... unless you wanted to go down the route of appealing.

Haven't got it in writing but can get it from the inspector

sorry to seem dense but whats PD?

If you can get it in writing that the works didn't require planning permission, then you shouldn't have to prove it to anybody else... providing it didn't also require building regulations?

PD = Permitted Development.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back