Retrospective trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning to install some of these. Some questions if anybody can help?

- how many holes would you drill for the airways? Would 5 or 6 holes of 6mm diameter be sufficient for a 300mm vent? One of the the newer windows in the house has one already and that has a long hole cut out, which seems a bit OTT. Thoughts?

- for installing one into a UPVC door, would you just go through the frame at the top?

- my front door has a possible option that would not entail any drilling through the frame. Photo attached. It has this piece of wood sat above it which is basically the roof of the open porch, or alcove, outside. Firstly, I find it slightly weird that there's only a piece of wood that thick separating the outside world from my home, but beside that point, how about installing a trickle vent into that piece of wood so the holes go through the top and the vent pieces are above and below?

- otherwise planning to install them into the top of the sash of windows. Like the one attached. Besides avoiding the glass, any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20231108_193715.jpg
    20231108_193715.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231108_193733.jpg
    20231108_193733.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231108_193813.jpg
    20231108_193813.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Just my opinion based on what I've read and what we do.
Buy a dehumidifier. Cheap enough as I've just bought my second one for £100.
Before we had dehumidifiers,We opened doors and windows when not in room for 20-30mims to let moisture out house and dry air in.
We now dry washing with dehumidifier going in room.
Dry bath or shower after use.
Trickle vents help a bit but aren't as good as opening up and getting fresh air in.

Re windows.
I just drilled a row of 4x 8mm holes and fitted trickle vents over. I had to for building regs at the time. Rather not have

It's supposed to be a continuous slot, so you would drill a whole load of holes in a row as close as you can together then drag the drill sideways along to cut the slot, half a dozen holes is a waste of time. A tedious job, sometimes you may also have metal reinforcement inside the frames.

I had metal inside frame that wrapped around drill bit causing problems.
For me it was a wrecking job I wish I never starred, but only did it to get past building inspector.
I think there are better ways to deal with moisture than drilling windows

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Is metal likely to be inside window sash, or just the frames of windows/doors?

Any thoughts on going through that piece of wood "roof" over front door?

Last edited:
Just my opinion based on what I've read and what we do.
Buy a dehumidifier. Cheap enough as I've just bought my second one for £100.
Before we had dehumidifiers,We opened doors and windows when not in room for 20-30mims to let moisture out house and dry air in.
We now dry washing with dehumidifier going in room.
Dry bath or shower after use.
Trickle vents help a bit but aren't as good as opening up and getting fresh air in.

Re windows.
I just drilled a row of 4x 8mm holes and fitted trickle vents over. I had to for building regs at the time. Rather not have
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see this post earlier for some reason.

I also have a dehumidifier and do same, like drying shower after use, window open etc.

What I like about trickle vents that dehumidifiers don't achieve is that they let nice fresh air into the house. Whilst windows can be opened, that is something I'd have to go around the house doing everyday - trickle vents are a more passive measure so less hassle involved and a more balanced approach throughout the day, rather than open windows then need to close them again because it's so cold. Trickle vents can also be left open whilst I'm out without security concerns.

This is my thinking. Appreciate it's going to be a rubbish job to do though!

Appreciate it's going to be a rubbish job to do though!
Very, especially if there is ally reinforcing in the frame. Plus, depending on how deep the reveal plaster is - it could turn into a nightmare you wish you'd never started.

Very, especially if there is ally reinforcing in the frame. Plus, depending on how deep the reveal plaster is - it could turn into a nightmare you wish you'd never started.

My plan is to put them into the window sash in each case. Do those have metal bars in them? They are also removable to make thr kob easier.

I've fitted quite a few recently, I must have cheap windows, no metal found. I drill a hole at each end and slot with a multitool.

This one's a rehau - you can see the drips of condensation on the lintel - I'm hoping that when I foam on the plasterboard it'll all go through the vent!

IMG_20231109_075430123.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back