Return brickwork not removed

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(BTW I am not a builder or tradesperson, so please excuse any mistakes or misunderstanding on my part. I know I have lots to learn.)

I'd like to get cavity wall insulation. A cavity wall insulation guy came out, stuck an inspection camera into my cavity wall and said he would not do the job as there was debris in the cavity. OK, so I bought a cavity wall inspection camera off ebay and have drilled a few holes, had a look around and now have a brickie lined up to come and remove a few bricks and clear the cavity, and put the bricks back on. So far so good.

But I noticed that there is something almost bridging the gap, that isn't so easy to remove. When we bought the house it had a coal cupboard at the side of the house. The builders removed it and bricked over the opening to this and I thought they'd done a great job. It looks great from the outside, and we had the downstairs WC that we wanted. But it looks like they did not remove the return bricks that are now bridging, or almost bridging, the cavity. I have drawn a before and after, as if looking down from above.

I know this because I stuck the inspection camera in the cavity and realised I could not see horizontally along the cavity, as I expected to, and was able to everywhere else.

How can I clear this obstruction in the cavity? I cant see a cavity wall insulation company doing this job if the know these two returns are still inside the cavity.

Sponsored Links
They can drill a few holes in between the obstruction and pump in some insulation.

provided the return doesn’t touch the inner skin, there isn’t a serious thermal bridge.

in any case many old houses have outer skin returned at window and door openings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back