Cavity Tray, Air Brick and Cavity Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently bought a new house and on the building report I have been recommended to install an air brick in the loft under the eaves, to allow warm air to vent out. Additionally they have recommended installation of soffit vents but that is an aside.

Reading up on this U understand that I need to install a sleaved air brick in the cavity which should have a cavity tray above it and I understand the rational for this.

However, I have full cavity wall insulation that has been retrospectively installed. From what I understand, full cavity wall insulation like this has to be impermeable to water otherwise you would get ingress through the insulation bridging the cavity.

What I have read suggests that you should cut out 50mm of insulation and then install the tray in that small cavity, but if the insulation is impermeable, then surely there shouldnt be any water in the cavity to collect in the tray?

So why do I need a tray installed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tueur, good evening.

Why not have say? 3 ridge vents installed? warm air is lighter, it rises, ridge is best place to fit a vent?? combined with eaves vents then that should keep the loft area dry?

Saves faffing about with erecting a scaffold to fit an air brick??

Ken

One air brick to vent a loft? Lol.

And to place it a eaves level to let warm air vent out (what does warm air do again?) Wtf?

Why would you need a tray over a vent that is under and protected by the eaves?

Tueur, good evening.

Why not have say? 3 ridge vents installed? warm air is lighter, it rises, ridge is best place to fit a vent?? combined with eaves vents then that should keep the loft area dry?

Saves faffing about with erecting a scaffold to fit an air brick??

Ken
Thanks Ken, Ill look in to this. I assume I can get them in the same length as my ridge tiles and just swap them out?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back