return flow through thermostatic shower valve hot feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've discovered through a tortuous process of elimination, by turning stopcocks on and off and playing with taps, that I'm getting a back flow from the cold supply, via a Grohe thermostatic shower valve, into my unvented hot water cylinder, which eventually builds up enough pressure to trip the pressure relief valve.

The thing is, this has been a kind of intermittent problem before, but this morning it finally became an issue I couldn't ignore.

I have no idea if a grohe valve would have built-in check valves or not, or whether there were external ones fitted to my shower which was fitted about 5 years ago. Most of the pipework is totally hidden.

Why would it suddenly go bad like this? Is it a build up of limescale or something? My plan is just to put a check valve into the hot feed to the bathroom, where I can easily get at the pipework.

Any views on what causes this type of thing?

Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back