Grohe Thermostatic Shower valve noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently completed the fitting of a new bathroom suite and installed a Grohe Avensys Thermostatic shower valve.

The valve unfortunately makes a high pitch noise on occassions, the noise is most certainly coming from the valve itself and it seems to be related to the valve stabilising the temperature of the water coming out.

I have a combi boiler and the cold is coming from the mains. I have fitted the valve according to the instructions and made sure the flow limiters in the valve are correct.

Is this just what thermostatic valves do? I just wondered why it made a noise, the valve itself operates perfectly.

Sponsored Links
As its new call grohe tech and possibly book a warranty call out.

Neil,

I seem to have a similar problem with my newly installed showervalve (don't have the model/make at hand).

Did you get anywhere chasing up the manufacturer? Was the unit faulty or was something else required?

EDIT:
Does anyone know what the root cause of these problems tend to be? From other posts it looks like water pressure related. I'm on mains cold water and Worcester Bosch 30cdi boiler.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but I have the same issue with my Grohe valve and was wondering if anyone has any advice? Unfortunately it is not under warranty so probs won't get any service backup. It just squeals a very high pitched squeal while on. Seems to come and go if you wiggle the temp adjuster but as the temperature stabilises it just comes straight back.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I bought and installed a Grohe thermostatic shower mixer and it also makes a sharp piercing whining noise. With careful adjustment, either by turning the temperature control or the flow rate control, I can get to a point where the whine is eliminated but this shouldn't be necessary.

Yesterday I turned it on and waited, and the whine kicked in just as soon as hot water arrived (it has to come up from the tank in the basement), i.e. as soon as the thermostat had some work to do.

I guess I'll need to remove it and take it back to the shop.

German.

Do your kids a favour by buying something made in Britain. Do it today and the positive effects will be seen in 30 years...

Unfortunately most governments can't see that far ahead, which is why we're paying for the Thatcher years now.

(soapbox dismantled, rant over)

I took the unit off yesterday and took it back to the shop. Luckily I still had the receipt. They swapped it, no problem at all. The new one is installed and not whining, but I can't remember if the faulty one worked perfectly at the start. We'll see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back