Return of rising damp?

Okay, he has been out today and gave it a thorough check. He says it's not rising damp or a leaky pipe, but simply condesation. Because that corner is the coldest part of the wall, and we do suffer from really bad condensation (tons of droplets hanging from bottom of plastic cistern, plus on the ceiling above that corner) and the weather has been bad of late, he says this is caused by all that condensation and will go away once the weather warms or I manage to ventilate/de-humidify the room better.

What do you guys think? Is he right? If he's right, what can I do that will really solve the condensation problems? I was thinking of changing to a porcelain cistern - that should reduce the condensation, shouldn't it? And what about ventilation? I have the windows open when using the shower but this doesn't help much and have heard conflicting statements about the usefulness of ventilation units in the wall and dehumidifier units (both in the wall and free-standing).

Any ideas? Thanks for all your input on this so far :D

Sponsored Links
I know you dont think there is any such thing as "Rising Damp" jbonding, but you cant argue that the wall is damp and it has risen up... :)

I can see the wall is damp but how did you work out from a pic that the damp is rising? vent the room and the problem should be solved. I was workin on an empty property last week and the water was runnin down the walls of all the internal walls that backed onto the outside walls (appart from the ones that backed onto the neighbours). The next day all the windows and doors were left open problem solved...risingdamp my arse..... :)

If you changed to a porcelain cistern you would still get condensation on it. A few ways is to get an air-flow going ie: extractor fan or air vents or leaving windows ajar when having a bath or shower..

For jbonding
The reason that you put a damp-proof coarse in is to stop water rising above it. So what would be the point of a DPC if damp didn't rise up??/ You have your opinion And I have mine, I respect yours and thats as far as it goes. I am not getting into a mud slinging match... :)

Sponsored Links
you say you have a shower in there? And no extractor fan?

Then of course you are going to get condensation!

Go out and hire a 110mm core drill, it will make a nice neat hole in the wall that you can put a plastic duct through, and fit an extractor fan that comes on every time the light is switched on, with a timer overrun if you like (if the room is in frequent use and the showers are infrequent, a timer is not essential, if the fan will be run most times the room is occupied)

You can drill a hole on the other side of the same room, and fit an exterior grille and an interior hit-and-miss vent, this will allow you to have nil-cost through-flow ventilation even before you fit and connect the fan while you are drying it out. The hit-and-miss vent will enable you to close it one the room is dry, to prevent draughts.

In normal circumstances, a bathroom extractor sucks air under the door (leave a gap) from the rest of the house, so the incoming air is not very cold.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back