Return of rising damp?

J

jonathen

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I had some work done in my toilet. Due to a bad rising damp problem, all the plaster was crumbling. A reputable local firm came out and hacked off all the old plaster, drilled and injected a damp course, applied waterproof plaster to the walls and then plastered over that.

This has been drying out nicely and until yesterday had completely dried out. However, last thing last night I noticed the plaster changing a darker colour (as if it's wet) from the corner where the damp originated. This has spread across the wall by this morning (it's about foot high from the ground up).

I'm about to call him back as the work carried a 20 year guarantee. I just need to know:

1. Does this sound like the rising damp has returned?
2. Will he have to redo the work or can it be treated as-is?
3. Anything else I should ask him?

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
If its only been a few weeks and it has dried and come back, then I think that the real problem has probabaly not been cured. If they are a reputable firm them just call the head man back and get him to explain what has been done and what does the gaurantee cover. It might be a leaking pipe/drain, or down-pipe or a crack higher up the wall where the water is coming in and running down the back off the render and appearing inside. It is very difficult to pin-point where water is coming in from, as where it shows on the wall isn't necessary the place it is coming in. Hope this helps keep us posted...

Thanks - I've called him and he's coming to look at it on Tuesday.

Sponsored Links
I don' t think this is a leaky pipe though. There are no pipes in that wall - it backs on to my neighbours old toilet which was long-since removed and is now a storeroom. The cistern is newly fitted and is definitely not leaking. I've attached photos of the problem - the corner in the photos was the origin of the original rising damp issue which was treated. The pattern it has made looks to me like rising damp, but maybe I'm wrong? Let me know what you think...
View media item 6529
View media item 6530

That looks like rising damp for sure, and I also think that whoever did the plastering, was definitely "not" a plasterer. I bet the old damp plaster was better finished off than the new. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

I agree with RC if they are a reputable firm you would have thought that they would have employed a "Proper" plasterer to do the job. Tell your man you are not happy with the final finish and ask him what sort of "backing " coat was put on the wall. They might have used Bonding, browning or hardwall, all these plasters are not recommended on "damp" areas. The wall should have been hacked off to the stone/brick work and drilled every6 to 8" apart at an angle of 30 degrees and injected with at least a litre of DPC fluid. This is a bit more than required but a fair guide. Also the walls should have been drilled vertically up to a height of 1200mm (in the corners or where another wall abutts ) or more. Also the walls should be drilled both sides were accessable. When the new scratch coat(Sand and Cement ) was put on it should contain some water-proofer or plasticiser additive that the "reputable" firm supply to the plasterer which would have chemicals in to help with the whole DPC process. And then float coated (Sand and Cement again ) and skimmed,(Preferrably with a "Trowel"). The wall would take a few months to dry out (depending on thickness) and also thru the drying process white salts might appear which you just brush off. Ask your man when he comes to explain the "System " that they use and who is the supplier of their chemicals, I should imagine that if he is reputable and an "Approved" contractor then he will know all the answers to your questions if not tell him to hand his guns in and saddle up his horse. keep us all posted....There is something I may have missed you said that it was dry until yesterday and you noticed that it had got wet again. If it was rising damp it would not be dry one day and wet the next it would gradually appear. I would have another check for any leaks, and check where the toilet fits on to the spigot that goes out thru the wall. all you need is a little weep. Dry around all the joints then put a newspaper on the floor and check every now and again to see if its getting wet, keep it away from the walls...

any chance of a pic of the other side of that wall? the plastering does look rough so i cant see them being a reputable company, you say it backs onto your neighbours house on which wall? i doubt its rising damp that doesnt exist.. :)

It's rough looking on purpose - he was going to plaster it smooth, but as the top of the wall and the other walls are artexed, I asked him to make it match as best as possible.

Once he's been tomorrow, I'll post an update...

I know you dont think there is any such thing as "Rising Damp" jbonding, but you cant argue that the wall is damp and it has risen up... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back