Reusing fence post holes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fence set in with timber posts in concrete, my side the drive is concrete with tarmac over it, between the gardens is a great concrete block about 8inches square running between each post and lord knows how deep in the ground. On the neighbours side the path is concrete, so you can imagine digging out the posts and replacing will be not only hard work but also destroy my drive and the neighbours path!
I am toying with the notion of grubbing out the rotten wood and using a vac to clean out the hole completely, then fitting new oak posts with some groves cut on each side where it will be underground. Then insert the post and pump resin (https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-ac100-pro-styrene-free-vinylester-resin-300ml/9240f) in through the groves to fill out the socket.
Seems the vinylester one is suitable for water filled holes so I am hoping it will stand up to any damp it gets.

Any comments on whether I am barking mad or is it worth ago please? ;)

Sponsored Links
A few years ago we managed to extract about 25 posts from a hard standing area.

We drilled a 35 mm diameter hole through the posts, a steel fencing bar through the hole and a trolley jack under each side of the bar as close to the post as possible.

A few years ago we managed to extract about 25 posts from a hard standing area.

We drilled a 35 mm diameter hole through the posts, a steel fencing bar through the hole and a trolley jack under each side of the bar as close to the post as possible.
Good tip that's reminded me I'm waiting for an appointment to have a wisdom tooth out any time!

Sponsored Links
I'm waiting for an appointment to have a wisdom tooth out any time!

If the wait is too long I can always pop round with a drill, bar and couple of jacks. I'm probably cheaper than a dentist but a bit more gung-ho!

Gung-ho works well on occasions, just not with teeth.

I doubt you'll get the wood posts out sufficiently to then get the new posts in, so I think you're going to have to enlarge the hole at some stage. But you can then set the new posts in with postcrete. You could enlarge the holes slightly either side of the posts, and inline with the fence, and that would cover up the damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back