New fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive offered to contribute to a new 42m fence line with my neighbour (his) as an incentive to get it gone with a good one.

Some advice please.

What is the highest Fence I can have?

What is the longest concrete post To accommodate the tallest fence panel?

How much would a concrete post be underground?

We have foxes in the garden and they are digging out holes either side of the fence. What is the deepest concrete gravel board I can install?

Is it possible to install one underground and another on top between the concrete posts?
Finally any recommendations for a type of strong fence to go with. I was thinking close boarded?

thx

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
7ft high fence is maximum without planning permission.

For a 7ft high fence, 2ft of post is buried, fyi 9ft concrete posts are heavy.

You'd be fine with 1 gravel board at the bottom, if you want 2 and a 5ft panel then you can. Not sure why you want a gravel board on top of the fence panel, they're really heavy and it would look awful imo.

I have seen some fences where people just use gravel boards with no fence panel. Again they look ugly imo.

Hi

thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, I mean double decker the gravel boards so that one sits under the other, not one on top of the fence :)

I basically want to prevent the foxes from digging under the gravel boards to get to the neighbour’s side and vice versa.

I plan to have a wooden fence as a fence and not a fence made out of stacked gravel boards. Can you please recommend a good quality fence? Would this be a closed boarded fence? What spec should I look out for, pre-treated under pressure? How long before that would need preservative treatment?

Sponsored Links
Was thinking of 12” ones. Had a quote from a local firm and they said 3” will go In the ground from a 12inch board. They said double decking it will be no good and waste of money.

12 ft post with 3 in the ground leaves 9 ft above ground, you're only going 7ft finished so where's the extra 2ft post gonna be? Sticking out at the top, that's where. For 7ft finished height you need 9ft posts, 10ft if you're burying 3ft of post but it'll be hard work and not that easy to get a 3ft neat post hole

There are some really weird answers on here?

I would ask a fox expert how deep they dig because if they will happily dig under 18" you're stuffed!
But I see no reason not to use 2x12" gravel boards if you want. My fence uses 12" because the garden next door is slightly lower so it's partly a retaining wall. Obviously if you want 2x boards the cost increases.

It might be better to bury some kind of scrunched up mesh v the extra gravel board? Something to discourage digging. I a man no expert on foxes.

I was referring to 12 inch gravel boards (not posts) 3 inches into the ground.

I agree with the point about foxes digging deep in the ground. They will easily go more than 3 inches under the ground. But the fencing company think we're wasting our money still.

How would you double decker two gravel boards because one would be slotted into the fence panels, how would the other be positioned underneath?

Both gravel boards will slotted into the posts,.not the panels. Easily.done and very common

So if both gravel boards slot into the Post, how much of the gravel board would likely be underground and how much would be overground?

A post is what 13 ft?

foxes can jump and climb so assuming there is nothing new making them think a new motorway is required i doubt they will spend the effort digging ??

So if both gravel boards slot into the Post, how much of the gravel board would likely be underground and how much would be overground?

A post is what 13 ft?

If you're.finished.height.is 7ft as previously.stated you need a 9ft post, 2ft is buried in.the ground. You can bury your bottom gravel board as much as you want but believe me getting one a foot deep is a tough under taking. If you do bury.one a foot deep then you can go for another 1ft gravel board at ground level and a 6ft panel to give your finishing height.of 7ft. Simple maths really and you need to work out how much you're burying on board 1. If you only go 6 inches then you can't add another gravel board and a 6ft.panel.

Big-all - Sorry you’re so badly mistaken. Come down to My area and see what they’ve done to my garden and neighbouring boundary fence line. Massive gaping hole under the fence. These b*****ds are capable of destroying a garden. They’ve dug one ft holes everywhere

a 7' high fence will not stop a fox, if a fox wants into your garden it will get into your garden.

being in the countryside we don't get foxes now :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back