New fence query and additional cost for supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had approx 70ft of new garden fencing put up, done by my neighbour (with my permission as its my fence line) and 50/50 contributed to the cost (£1,300 my share). Fence is 6ft closed boarded fence panel with wooden posts, 1ft concrete gravel board (buried 6 inches under the mud to prevent foxes digging), decorative trellis on top and those decorative round knob things on top of the posts.

It was suggested that I spend another circa £850 to add additional 4ft concrete posts which go 2ft into the ground and stay 2ft above ground, to help support the wooden posts. Neighbour didnt want concrete posts which I suggested and whilst the work all looks good, we were both slightly puzzled that the fence posts are flex a little when gently pressed against. I dont remember my parent's house concrete posts doing this but then again these are taller.

Can someone please confirm this is wasted money spending the additional £850.

Sponsored Links
What size are the fenceposts and how deep into the ground do they go and are they bedded in concrete? A brand new fence should not be flapping about in the breeze.....

I'm not sure of the depth of the fence post unfortunately as neighbour arranged it. But one foot gravel boards were sunk 6 inches into the ground. Wooden posts went into concrete.

Its not flapping around, just feels a tad bit on the flexible side. Anyway these supports...waste of money, people actually install them?

What is moving?

Is the timber post moving a bit where it is bolted to the 4'0 concrete spur?

Is the post coach screwed or bolted all the way through?

There is nothing wrong with concrete spurs, they do allow timber posts to be replaced in the future. They tend to be less popular as they are bulky.

I think postsaver barrier sleeves are a good way to extend the life of timber posts.
https://www.postsaver-shop.co.uk/

I realise I dont know the whole story, but £850 sounds rather a lot for the concrete spurs, maybe they are a lot more work? The spurs themselves are about £25 each and Id be guessing you have a dozen or so posts

Sponsored Links
4ft concrete spurs bedded 2ft into the ground, won't help 6ft posts. The posts should be bedded 2ft into the ground minimum, and you could just ask him what size posts he bought, but you may need to dig a test hole to check, and then fill it with concrete, and then earth on the top few inches. What thickness are the posts though, as cheap 90mm posts would flex. Has the concrete been raised so that it come slightly out of the ground round the posts, otherwise the post will rot where the water or earth sits around the bottom. the barrier sleeves stop that, but you can paint a bit of bitumen round the bottom of the post quite easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back