what order to erect a fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend putting a 50ft fence up using concrete posts and gravel boards with 3ft fence panels..Do I concrete the posts and gravel boards in first and then when the concrete has set follow up with the panels or do I work my way up the garden putting in post ,gravel board and the fence panel as I go.
regards max

Sponsored Links
I'm not a fencer so this is only my personal opinion..

I'd put in the post, then the GB, and then use a piece of timber cut to the right length and a ratchet strap at the top to space the posts right..
this way the GB at the bottom keeps the bottom of the posts the right distance apart and the timber at the top does the same there..
it stops the weight of the panel or any wind issues from pushing the posts about while the concrete sets..

I wouldn't disagree with CJ's method.
But another vaild mo is to start with the corner post, then gravel board & fence panel, then the next post, ad infinitum.
Off-cuts of timber can be used as temporary braces to maintain vertical posts by bracing off the fence.

It saves lifting the fence panels into position, but with small panels, that's not a problem.

Don't forget a string line to set out the height of the tops of the posts.
An off-cut of timber the same length as the boards/panels make easy work of 'placing' the hole for the next post.

Thanks for the replys,It looks like either method is ok, starting next week lets hope it not going to rain.
regards max

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back