fence post removal help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i recently put a a fence inbeetween me and neighbour then i looked at the rear fence witch is very unstable and found 3 posts to have totally rotten throught at ground level, there is a outrages amout of concrete in the hole and i have managed to dig around with shovel but can barley move it its a massive bit of concrete and i have 3 of them to remove lol, there is a path at one side so can only get around 3 sides really, should i dig a trench then fill it back in or what any help willl be great

thanks Dean
also when i fitted ajoining fence i can push the posts at the top and a little movement but i dug the holes pretty good maybe i should dig around the concrete i already have a add a little more ? (only used 2 and a hlaf bags post crete for 3 posts

thans Dean

Sponsored Links
you are now ready to resolve only to use concrete posts in future.

you might be able to break the lump up enough to lift it out. It will take a lot of digging and you will hate wooden posts by the time you've finished. Pro's usually dig another hole and shift the post positions.

Rather than digging around your loose posts, pound the soil around them very hard to consolidate it. You can use a spare fencepost for this. You can also peg them with guyropes while they consolidate to prevent wind movement. The depth of the hole is important, but the concrete must be surrounded with firm soil.

thanks for that, yeah i will try and pound the soil around the posts, i will try breaking up the concrete on the broken ones with a hammer but dont think will dent it lol also not really enough room to move the post so needs to come out lol and next time i will use concrete lol

thanks Dean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back