Revamping kitchen cupboard handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are updating a tired white melamine kitchen, and the door handles were going to be replaced. However, the screw width of 195mm seem to be non standard, and we cannot find any replacements anywhere. Don't want to spend fortune either. They are of the classic D shape.

They are from what I can make out, steel handles that have been factory melamine or like coated. Some of this coaing has come off, and can also easily be rubbed off-

My brainwave was to spray enamel them using a chrome spray. The tester piece looks good, but I am not sure how it would stand up to daily use, greasy fingers and Mr Muscle.

Should I varnish them? Strip the coating off? With what?

All advice greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
OK, this should now probably go in DIY disasters now, but I prepped the handles, sprayed them with enamel paint, and they looked great. Still they would need some overcoating to withstand daily use, so got laquer for enamel paint. Despite it being meant for enamel paint, it reacted with the chrome paint and the old handles showed through.

Now got to either strip them down to the metal, or bite the bullet and buy some new ones. Probably the latter.

Oh well, never mind! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back