Painting Kitchen Cupboard doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to spray paint the doors of kitchen cupboards?

They are like a melamine surface with a dimpled texture, a bit like 'orange peel'. They are Polar white, or rather were originally, but have yellowed over time. We want to try and bring them back to a high finish white again so if possible what would the procedures be? i.e. Should I rub them down lightly with glass paper to key the surface or just wash them with sugar soap and dry off. What, if any, primer/basecoat should I use?

Any help/tips would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sugar soap and then a special primer for melamine :idea: have you got a proper spray kit

Hi Nige,
thanks for the reply. Where would be the best place to get the primer? One of the sheds or a proper decorating centre? Not got a proper spray kit was thinking I may be able to use cans from somewhere like B&Q, Homebase etc
Not a good idea?

Sponsored Links
Thats something like what they are made of at the moment.
Is that a problem?

All from the sheds ;) I think plasticoat may be OK . having a textured finish already will make spaying with cans easier :idea:

Thats something like what they are made of at the moment.
Is that a problem?
No - may prove expensive though. Made my own cupboard and drawer fronts for my kid's playroom using mdf and plasticoat several years ago. Bit of a labour of love, but looked good in the end. Used about two to three times the amount of the stuff than I originally estimated though.

Providing you can get it to adhere properly (and for long enough - kitchen's have moist air at times), should be fine.

Thanks for the replies lads.
Now know where I'll be traipsing around tomorrow! :LOL:

Once again, thanks, will let you know if we go ahead with the project.

After much deliberation and gentle reasoning the wife has agreed, washing the doors with a strong solution of sugar soap has worked wonders. ;)
Thanks lads, saved me a fortune in paint and much ear ache over what would probably been a crap finish. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back