Painting Kitchen Cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

Hope someone can help a clueless person such as myself....

I'd like to paint my kitchen cupboards to give them a bit of a facelift (please don't suggest buying new doors as it's not an option!) but don't know whether I need to buy special cupboard paint as well as the primer..

I just got hold of a huge tin of International Melanine Primer for quite cheap; as well as thoroughly washing down all surfaces with Sugar Soap and then applying the primer, do I need to do any other prep? Also, as I am using the primer do I still need to get special cupboard paint (it's so expensive!)?

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you :oops:

Sponsored Links
If you intend to use sugar soap then you should wash down again using warm water to remove any residues, with regard to the application of the primer some say there is no need to first abrade the surface whilst others dont. Myself I prefer just to very very lightly sand before application, you dont have to use cupboard paints any oil solvent borne product will be fine, can't really offer anymore advice untill we know what you would like to use.

Dec

Hi! Thanks for your reply :)

I would just like to use something that looks good and will be ok for the kitchen - i.e. easy to wipe off grease, spills etc. without removing the paint.

Crown Solo Satin is a cracking good paint for kitchen cupboards.

Sponsored Links

So what you're saying is it cracks? :confused: Can't tell if you're joking or not.

Please can someone advise what type of paint to use on kitchen cupboards, over a melanine primer?

Help!

So what you're saying is it cracks? :confused: Can't tell if you're joking or not.

Please can someone advise what type of paint to use on kitchen cupboards, over a melanine primer?

Help!

Joe is being serious. Most melamine primers (International being one of them) are suitable for use with satin or gloss paints and Crown Solo is one of the best around at the moment. I've recently done some bedroom furniture with the gloss (quite shiny so satin might be better if you don't want a high sheen) and it covered perfectly in one coat. :D

It has the perfect level of sheen - not too dull and not too shiny.

Thank you very much, then! All of you :)

One last thing....no need to varnish over the top then? I'll be able to wipe down the Solo Satin without it taking the paint off? I'm a bit messy in the kitchen ya see ;)

Yes. No varnish. The only place it may need the occasional touch up is the knife drawer where it gets hammered - but that is only a 10 minute job.

Hi

My hubby built our kitchen cupboards about 4 years ago out of MDF.
He used a good quality primer (I think it was International) & then used Dulux Oil Based Eggshell paint in a pale cream colour., put on with a mini roller.

We've never had any problems with the paint chipping - it looks as good now as it did when it was first painted, even on the cutlery drawer! If you use Eggshell make sure its the oil based & not water based kind.

We didn't use Satinwood paint because my daughter had painted her kitchen units in this previously & it had chipped on the doors which were opened & closed often.

Two years ago he built a run of fitted wardrobes in our bedroom & we used the Eggshell paint again - it has proved to be the perfect paint for cupboards. We wouldn't use anything else on cupboards/furniture!

Hope this helps

But the op said their units were melamine, there's a big difference between mdf and melamine.

Yes I know, but if you use the correct primer for the surface you want to paint on then you can use whatever paint you like on it.
The durability of the paint is what matters & we found that oil based eggshell was the best.
My daughters kitchen units were melamine & even after priming, the satinwood paint just didn't last as she hoped it would. Eventually after touching the chips up several times she changed the units.

The reason the paint chipped off the melamine is because melamine has no porosity whatsoever, the paint in effect sits on the surface. MDF on the other hand is very absorbent thus giving the paint a good key. We have painted hundreds of MDF window boards on sites and you will not shift the paint off them, melamine though, no matter what you paint them with, the paint will not have the same durability because of the lack of porosity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back