Reveal above back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed the reveal above my back door which was made of two pieces of plywood and looked awful because it didn't match the adjoining plasterwork.

Here is a picture of what remains:-

DSCF1062.jpg

As you will see, there is a steel lintel above the ceiling and vertical bricks below it in the outer skin, but no inner skin.

What is the usual way of finishing on the inside?

My best idea at present is to make a framework of 2 x 2, add a couple of layers of plasterboard and then skim to make good.

Will I have any problems with the cavity? Has anybody got a better idea?

I am planning to replace the door and frame in any case.

Sponsored Links
your idea sounds about the quickest solution but i would put some d.p.c against the outer skin to prevent any damp problems would also put insulation in aswell .

Thanks for that, probably wouldn't have thought of the insulation.

I just wondered if anyone could tell me how it should have been done.

Would you normally have the lintel lower and just plaster onto that? If so, how is it hidden on the outside?

It's part of a basically sound 80's extension but attention to detail isn't what it might be.

when you take the door and frame out also take the lintel out and lower to the new door frame height then you can brick up the back of the lintel and create a cavity

Sponsored Links
mmmm, I wouldn't take the lintel out, wall above might crack.

You could put in another one if you felt like it and build up with lightweight blocks and an insulated cavity.

Or you could put in a fanlight.

Are the soldiers standing on a steel? Or just on the doorframe?

OOI, what's that thing on the head of the frame?

p.s. looks like the whole cavity is empty. Save up and have it filled!

well if it cracks repoint it there will only be about 10 bricks that could possibly drop anyway so do the job properly

Many thanks for all the useful info.

The soldiers are just sitting on the frame which is softwood and fortunately sound at the top although slowly rotting at the bottom. They are also loose - and it's very helpful to know this before taking the door frame out!

Looks to me as if the best thing to do is add a new lintel and reset the bricks properly. I don't fancy removing the old one because access to the bricks above outside is poor.

I've done a bit of research on lintels - I've only really seen the I-shaped ones before but it seems that you use one like this:-

Lintel.jpg

I can then fill the inside with blocks and make a decent job of it.

The thing on the top of the frame is a device to stop the door from blowing open too far - looks a bit Heath Robinson to me.

And yes, the cavity needs insulating!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back