Reviewing electric and gas meter cavity box indoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Would appreciate ideas on how to resolve the following issue:

My gas meter and electric meter are located indoors within the front room in a purpose built box like wall. Basically the meters are attached to the wall and a wall like box has been built around it by the previous owner. The main issue I have is cables run within this wall which then runs up through the cavity wall besides it and the both the floor and the side inner walls are open to very cold air. Though, there is no apparent opening to the outside of the house. It can become very cold in the front room (With this cold air coming through) and when meter checks take place mice seem to have found their paradise. How can this be closed permanently to the cavity which stop mice and cold?

Would appreciate ideas and what sort of expense is related to the kind of job specified?

Sponsored Links
Your electric cables should not really be routed up the cavity of the house.
Have you pictures to show of what you have, all cable entry holes should be sealed. Mice will get in holes as tiny as the circumference of a standard pencil.

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry,
Appreciate your response. I have attached a couple of photos for you to get an idea what I am dealing with. As you can see the main electric cables are coming from the pillar on the far left hence is not closed.
If it seems this is difficult to close due to the mains coming into the box for both electric and gas, what other ways could they be to better seal this space?

That is one messy wiring job and a few concerns regarding the cable proximity to the gas meter and gas pipes, there should be some separation.
As BT cable should be separated from the domestic electrical circuits.
I assume that it cold walls rather than drafts that is the concern here, that would only be solved by insulation to cavity walls, this should also seal up any open voids that mice might be able to enter from.

Sponsored Links
I do agree it is a messy job, cold walls are definitely an issue here for certain. So would you say the best way to go about this is resolve the issues in terms of inside this box and then call out someone to look at cavity insulation?
Unfortunately, I bought the house 3 years back in this state and just about had enough with the cold and the mice coming in via this route.

Really appreciate your comments on this.

What is on the other side of the wall? If you intend to stay in the property for some years you would be better to contact the gas & electric suppliers and get a price to fit the meters etc in an outside wall box. You will then only have the gas feed and electric meter tails thro' the wall which can easily be sealed. Looking at the cables in the cupboard it would be worth having an electrician to test and tidy up the cables.

What is on the other side of the wall? If you intend to stay in the property for some years you would be better to contact the gas & electric suppliers and get a price to fit the meters etc in an outside wall box. You will then only have the gas feed and electric meter tails thro' the wall which can easily be sealed. Looking at the cables in the cupboard it would be worth having an electrician to test and tidy up the cables.
The other side is the next door neighbours terrace house so possibly a difficult one though could start up with quotes around tidying. ...oh boy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back