Reviews on Vent 3 Cromar breathable membrane and tile vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
we are having our roof replaced due to a number of issues.
with the old roof we had a lot of problems with condensation - we don't know if this is down to the insulation we added as we did this as soon as we moved in!
The new breathable membrane to be used is Vent 3 Cromar, I've heard there are some really good membranes and others only half as good.

I wondered if anyone had a views on this and whether it is a good product. (the roof will be replaced with natural slates)

Because of all the condensation issues we would also like to have tile vents, i've heard some people say breathable membrane shouldn't be used with vents and others say it's ok if you want them.

any views or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Sponsored Links
All of the breather membranes are BS approve so I guess they should all be ok.
From memory I believe that the Cromer is very thin and tears easily.

I think that Tyvek Supro and Perma Forte are best.

Extra slate vents should be fine and some local authorities insist on them.

Thanks Palaceray, i'll have a look at those membranes.

I didn't know some authorities insist on the vents, that's good to know

Proctor Roofshield is the industry standard nowadays and it is very, very good. A quick Google search shows that the one you have been quoted for is about half the price of Proctor which is about £110 a roll. Think of it like this, your underfelt or membrane is your secondary roof should something go wrong, it is well worth paying that little bit extra as you really do get what you pay for with this. Make sure that the membrane is not touching the insulation and you should have no problem with condensation. By all means add some vents if this will give you peace of mind, but, bear in mind that these are called breathable membranes for a reason.

A question if I may? Has a builder or a roofer quoted to do your roof?

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Vent 3 and vent3 light isn't the best but it does the job. I've got it on my house. It's when the workers are walking all over the roof that rip it, not as long as they are careful it will be fine.

We've had a builder provide us with a quote and they're due to start on Monday. I researched the vent 3 and I believe it's the high performance which is blue on one side that they will be using so not the light or classic version.
The main concern is how breathable it really is I believe they are paying around £30 a roll for it.
Of course the durability of it is important too when we're paying out for an expensive slate roof.
Do you think there is that bigger difference in the proctor roofshield?

Thanks for all your help

I use the blue Cromar and it is a decent mid range membrane. I pay £47 a roll.

The Vent 3 light is very thin and easy to tear so i'd avoid that version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back