Revive Shingles, Best Way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to breathe some life back into the external wood on the house as its been neglected. After and before pics. So far I've used Osmo Wood reviver. What should be the next step, a wood preserve, wondering if I use clear or one with a stain to try and even up the colour? Then to tackle the barge board.

upload_2022-3-28_20-53-41.png

Sponsored Links
I like the individuality of the colours to be honest. More of a natural look than mass produced same ones.
Use a good quality clear preservative, (though it may change the colours slightly), because you don't want to be getting up there each year to keep them in pristine condition.

you won't even up the colour just add further layers to whats there
you would have to use paint or somthing that fully covers all the character including grain making your shingles look like concrete slates
i personally would highlight the differences as much as possible to give as much character as possible to be more interesting (y)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, so something like the Barrettine Premium Wood Preserver should do the trick. I'll get some in! Thanks!

What to do with the barge board, same process? revive it then clear perserve. Its never been painted and I think think I want to paint it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back