Rewiring a Dimmer Switch... To not Dim!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I don't know if this ranks up there as one of the more bizarre questions asked on the forum... but here goes.

I have just installed 6 energy saving philips tornado bulbs in my hallway. Energy saving bulbs don't like dimming - not a problem, however they are ran off 2 switches: 1 by the front door which is a simple on/off switch, the other is the other end of the hallway by the bathroom. This is a dual dimmer switch. One (on the right, red back) is for the bathroom, still want that to be able to dim the halogen bulbs in there. The one on the left (black back) is the other switch for the hallway.

If the dimmer is rotated even slightly off max, the new bulbs start to flicker and make a buzz. Problem is, when quickly turning on or off that switch, or guests are over, it is easy to knock it slightly and then my hallway starts giving everyone seizures :LOL:

Is there a way I can rewire / internally solder the dimmer so that no matter what way it spins, it is always delivering max power?

DSC_4023.jpg

plug2.jpg

plug3.jpg

Sponsored Links
There's not much you can do, unless you are very handy with a soldering iron.

Get one of these and swop it for the dimmer that you no longer will use http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLSM.html[/QUOTE]

And note which wires go into which terminals in the existing dimmer (which are marked L1, L2 and C) BEFORE you disconnect them!

(This may seem obvious, but you should see the number of posts we get here from people who didn't! :) )

Thanks gents, will mark the wiring. would the switch in that link have identical connections round the back as my current switch? would there be any difference considering that the lighting circuit in the hall is linked to another on/off switch?

Sponsored Links
The switch module needs to be '2 way' to work the same on your circuit as the current switch and have the same terminals on the back, that one linked to probably is but it's worth checking with the supplier first.
Another thing to check is the spindle format the knob itself is mounted on as you're going to want to use the chrome one from your existing switch, not the white plastic one on the new one.
The new one will be 'D' shaped so pull the chrome one off and see if that is too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back