Rewiring kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Im about turn my extension into a kitchen and have few questions regarding electrics.
I have electric hob (4x rapid zone ie 2x 1200w+2x1800w) plus electric oven question is about size of the cable, size of MCB (40A?)i should allocate in CU and i guess the size of the fuse for it 45A fitted in the kithen wall? Do i need to provide two seperate loops ie 1 for hob and 1 for oven or will they b ok on one ring?distance from CU will b approx 15m.
I understand that all sockets will have to be supply on another ring using 2.5mm2 cable and protected by 32A MCB but will it be ok for such a busy kitchen(dishwasher,washing machine,microwave,kettle,fridge,toaster,extractor fan,coffe machine etc?)
kitchen walls(single brick extension) will be inslulated with 100mm rockwool stuffed between Gyprame finished with plasterboard-do i need to use protective conduit when running cables behind plasterboard or is it not necessary?
last one is the immersion heater in my other room-just found it connected by old aluminium cable and thought it will need change, it is rated at 3kw connected to 16A MCB-what is best cable size to be used on that and is the protection at CU enough. the distance from CU is about 12m to the switch and then about 10m to the immersion heater.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
This has been covered to death in the last week or so. There are still threads on this subject on the first index page!

6000w is about 27 amps.
so really the hob and oven i would put on to the own radial circuit 6mm and use a cooker connection unit and switch for both. that way they are on there own dedicated circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back