Richard Burbridge Metal Spindle Bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit specific, but has anyone had to fit the Richard Burbridge spindle bracket with the metal spindles they sell in their Trademark range?

https://www.wonkeedonkeerichardburb...rk-metal-baluster-fixing-bracket-landing.html

The reason I ask is that the grub screw isn't long enough to go through the hole in the spindle; it doesn't even touch it. Am I crazy and doing something wrong or is this just badly designed?

Cheers, Rob.

Sponsored Links
A bit specific, but has anyone had to fit the Richard Burbridge spindle bracket with the metal spindles they sell in their Trademark range?

https://www.wonkeedonkeerichardburb...rk-metal-baluster-fixing-bracket-landing.html

The reason I ask is that the grub screw isn't long enough to go through the hole in the spindle; it doesn't even touch it. Am I crazy and doing something wrong or is this just badly designed?

Cheers, Rob.
those are for a normal wooden handrail with a groove underneath

Incorrect challenge, I'm afraid. The wording on that page actually says "and are fixed to ungrooved handrails and baserails". Even if that were the case, it still wouldn't help with my issue.

As it happens, I've finally managed to get hold of Richard Burbridge technical support, and they've said if I alternate the direction of the brackets between top and bottom, the grub screws will effectively pin the spindle between them. I tried it last night, and they're correct. The downside is you have to screw it in so far that it almost falls out the other side and the internal silver threads start to show through.

However, I'm not convinced that the 1mm of grub screw that goes into the spindle hole is enough to lock the oak handrail down and stop it bowing up over time, so I'll be making my own longer screws to fix the handrail in the middle to the top and bottom of the spindle, or maybe even bolt in a short L bracket and screw that to the rails instead.

The frustrating part is that RB said the grub screws are made like that so that they can use the same ones between the stair brackets and the landing brackets. That's some serious penny-pinching for a 10mm long piece of threaded metal !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back