RIDDOR and The Self Employed

J

Johnmelad502

Do self employed people ever report their reportable; injuries,diseases and dangerous occurrences?

In case you don't know...

RIDDOR is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995.

Sponsored Links
Riddor is only really reporting major stuff, like a very serious injury, death etc.

Touch wood no serious injuries or death for us so far. Minor things go in the accident book.

Do self employed people ever report their reportable; injuries,diseases and dangerous occurrences?

In case you don't know...

RIDDOR is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995.

yes they do. if they dont.. they should..

Riddor is only really reporting major stuff, like a very serious injury, death etc.

Touch wood no serious injuries or death for us so far. Minor things go in the accident book.

Not really, a broken bone and some accidents that don't even result in an actual injury are reportable under RIDDOR.

Sponsored Links
I'd have thought that even self employed people have a responsibility to notify H&S of anything under RIDDOR.
Example 1 :- Your a self employed subcontractor on a building site and you develop Leptospirosis. (Weils disease) caused by allowing water contaminated with rat urine coming into contact with broken skin.
Would you just have a couple of weeks off and say nothing, knowing that others could be at risk?

Example 2 :- Your a self employed Cabinet maker with a small workshop. Your sharpening some chisels at the grindstone one day and the grinding wheel bursts, causing you severe injuries and unable to work for a few months.
You try to claim off your insurance and they ask if you have notified the H&S of a dangerous occurrence. You answer No... Do the insurance company have to pay you anything? ;) ;) ;) ;)

I'd have thought that even self employed people have a responsibility to notify H&S of anything under RIDDOR.
Example 1 :- Your a self employed subcontractor on a building site and you develop Leptospirosis. (Weils disease) caused by allowing water contaminated with rat urine coming into contact with broken skin.
Would you just have a couple of weeks off and say nothing, knowing that others could be at risk?

Example 2 :- Your a self employed Cabinet maker with a small workshop. Your sharpening some chisels at the grindstone one day and the grinding wheel bursts, causing you sever injuries and unable to work for a few months.
You try to claim off your insurance and they ask if you have notified the H&S of a dangerous occurrence. You answer No... Do the insurance company have to pay you anything? ;) ;) ;) ;)

the answer to both your questions is no.. simple

They do have to report these things, my question was do they actually report them?

2B or not 2B that is the question.

Of course any self employed person has a duty under H&S act to report such incidents under RIDDOR. Whether they do or not is up to them really Personally I think they'd be stupid not to. If found out they risk large fines and/or imprisonment.
Read up on H&S law. It has changed a lot since the bad days of the early Eighties when the maximum fine was less than a weeks wages.

PS,,, in the bad old says,,, Human life was very cheap. Probably too cheap. !!!!!

Not really, a broken bone and some accidents that don't even result in an actual injury are reportable under RIDDOR..

can you give the definitive answer about RIDDOR if you cannot.. i suggest that you cannot comment.

Just slightly off-topic, who's the most ignored person on here?

and how do you know he's posted?

Under the RIDDOR Act there is a legal duty placed upon, Employers, Self Employed and People in Control of Premises, to report,,work related deaths, major injuries, over 3 day injuries (where a person has more than 3 working days off through injury) diseases (work related) and dangerous occurrences ( even where no working days are lost)

As I stated before, they should report any of the above, (I once had to report a major injury at work to H&S)( not mine I was a first aider).

Just slightly off-topic, who's the most ignored person on here?

and how do you know he's posted?

well ignore while looking at your screen..

but get your facts right about RIDDOR....

time for bed now children...

Sponsored Links
Back