Ridge beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House down the road, having an extension done. Standard gable ended duo pitch roof, wall plate to wall plate span about 7m. Got a load of trusses delivered then seemed to have a change of mind and built a cut roof 6inch rafters, what looks like single 8x2 ridge beam, and ceiling joists running short span, ie at right angles to the rafters.
I thought for this kind of thing you needed a steel ridge beam? Or I guess one may get added later?
I’m asking this purely because I’m nosey, and I’m interested because I considered doing similar for mine but decided on trusses as I didn’t fancy lifting a steel up to the ridge.

Sponsored Links
A ridge beam can be steel or timber, you generally move to steel when the span makes timber less economical.

The requirement is that the beam holds up the rafters, so any beam will do. Probably not a light beam though.

Ok thanks. I guess it may have purlins as they build the gable up too. I think my issue was I just asked the bco “what size ridge beam” and he said go and get calcs done by an SE, which I didn’t have the time or money to do at that point so went with trusses.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the span of the ridge beam; if not too long, a stout timber beam would do but steel would be better; deflection of the ridge beam is critical because if it deflects too much, it allows the rafters to spread a little (in the absence of ceiling ties).

If you don't want to lug a massive steel to the roof you can get a pair of timbers and sandwich a steel plate. Our se specced that as he said it's safer to build especially if you're going up to roof level
The timber keeps everything from buckling and spreads the bearing, and the steel prevents too much deflection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back