ridge board and support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I building a pitched roof along side my house which extends beyond the back wall and then (with two hips) covers an existing extension. This means there will be a small ridge (1m long) to allow the hips to be at 45deg. I have a bearer plate bolted to the wall. See pictures
( //www.diynot.com/network/punker/albums/13423 ).
I have a few questions.
1. How much should I make the ridge board protrude above the line of the tiles?
2. where the ridge comes of the back wall can i sit the ridge board on top of the bearer if I let the bearer carry on past the end of the wall?
3. If i let the bearer come out past the end of the wall (like in the uploaded pictures) how do i support it, by blocking up from the wall below or making a wooden frame?

thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Your bearer plate and your ridge should be on the same plane. i.e. one and the same.

ah, so the ridge board doesn't support the ridge tile so therefore doesn't need to sit proud?

Sponsored Links
ah, so the ridge board doesn't support the ridge tile so therefore doesn't need to sit proud?
No.

There is no ridge board at all on fink truss roofs.

The roof tiles support the ridge tiles.

The roofing battens (lathes) support the tiles.

The rafters support the lathes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back