Ridge tiles and valley tiles.........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed a couple of ridge tiles to replace a broken pantile which was at the top. I've got some reference texts to hand on doing the job, so I'm not totally unprepared(!) but some advice on these points would really help.

1 The ridge tiles in question are on a piece of roof at right angles to the main roof and they are lower than the main ridge. How should the join between the two roofs be sealed water tight? Flashing?

2 Where the two roofs join there are 2 valleys running down, constructed with overlapping valley tiles. Should the bottom edge of each valley tile be mortared, square to the tile underneath? Some of mine look as though they have been, not sure whether that is for repair or original.

Many thanks

JD

Sponsored Links
Well the answer to the first question appears to be just to mortar the ridge tiles down onto the pantile above - at least that's how it's been done on this roof.

I'm actually going to be replacing a couple of the valley tiles, so any pointers on that much appreciated.

Another question - what's the best tool to use for raking out the mortar from ridge tiles and verges? I'm just using a cold chisel, would one of those scutch chisels be better?

JDLDIY said:
Another question - what's the best tool to use for raking out the mortar from ridge tiles and verges? I'm just using a cold chisel, would one of those scutch chisels be better?
You could crack the tiles this way, I always use a small angle grinder with a stone cutting disc.

You could crack the tiles this way, I always use a small angle grinder with a stone cutting disc
Good tip Masona, thanks.

Next question - If I can't get replacement valley tiles - what to do?? Just off to the reclamation yard now to (hopefuly) pick some up.

JD

Sponsored Links
JDLDIY said:
Next question - If I can't get replacement valley tiles - what to do?? Just off to the reclamation yard now to (hopefuly) pick some up.
If you can't get any, may have to use lead.

Got 'em!! £11.75 for 2 tiles - now that's a good business (reclamation yards).

So far I could cross post this in the DIY disasters section! Began stripping back the area and found where water has been getting in where the two roofs meet, there were holes in the felt. So, having some felt in the garage I thought I'd stick it down but didn't have quite the right sticky stuff so decided to use Feltfix, which I have lying around waiting for me to do the shed roof. Anyway, a short while into the job and screams from the missus - it's only followed the path of the water leak and dripped down onto the carpet in our bedroom! Quite runny feltfix!

Now it's P@£$ing it down, thunderstorms the lot, so plenty of water getting in to the roof spaces no doubt! Great eh!

JD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back