Riello RDB Blue burner question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

[EDITED]

I have a Riello RDB Blu 2.2 burner fitted to my Grant boiler, which was installed in 2018. Over the last few weeks the boiler has failed to fire up when heating/HW is called. This has happened before and I learnt that the problem is solved by taking out the photocell (part number 30008646) and cleaning; this is what I have been doing this time. However, it is not ideal, so I have ordered a replacement part. The burner has a digital control box. Edit: for information, the photocell appears very clean on removal.

However, the new part (number 20181375) looks very different. The most obvious difference is that it is at least a couple of centimetres longer. Apparently, the sensors were completely updated to comply with directives 2002/95/CE RoHs, and 2011/65/CE RoHs2. I quote the information leaflet supplied with the replacement part: The flame sensor with semiconductor technology replaces completely the CdS cadmium oxide sensors or photocells according to [the above directives]. the photocell was replaced a couple of years ago during a service, because of the same problem.

I would like to know if anyone else here has replaced this part, and if so could confirm that the replacement I have received is correct.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your photocell regularly needs cleaning you really should address what's causing it.
Which model Grant?
Re checking photocell yes riello did change all there photocells some time ago.
I would call Grant technical for advice they really are excellent and will advise whatever the age and warranty status of your boiler.

Hi,

Thank you, I have now messaged Grant and will hopefully get a reply early next week. I have to say that when I have removed the photocell it is not actually showing any sign of dirt - in fact it is spotless. Just taking it out and re-inserting it seems to fix the problem, for a while anyway, which is why I believe the photocell is faulty.

I do know Grant amongst others have had problems with the riello blue flame burner and no longer offer it .
Speaking to one of there own engineers few weeks ago they have changed some blue flame burners for white under warranty.

Sponsored Links
Time for an update. My regular engineer called yesterday and replaced the solenoid and condenser, which seemed to fix the problem. No sooner had he left and I had paid his bill than the burner locked out again. He very kindly came back within the hour and stripped the burner once more, this time replacing the oil pump, which seemed to have a catch in it; even I could detect it. Apart from that the burner was functioning well within its normal parameters. Anyway, three new parts and this morning the burner has locked out again.

I'm going to call the engineer again, but out of sheer curiosity I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what might now be causing these lock-outs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back