Rigid loft insulation and ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting up a new ceiling in a room and would like some advice about insulation.
The majority of the ceiling is pretty standard, and I will lay insulation between the ceiling joists in the loft space (as it was before I dropped the original ceiling).
However at one side of the room, the rafters drop below the flat ceiling level so the ceiling in the room slopes down - the sloped section runs the length of the room and is about 50cm wide before levelling off at 'ceiling' height
Previously this section had no insulation, so I feel I should do something about this.
There rafters are 100mm deep.
I was planning to add 50mm rigid insulation and leave a 50mm gap between the felt (non-breathable) and the insulation for ventilation.
On the other side of the insulation will be plasterboard (fixed to the rafters).

I want to see if this sounds reasonable or...
Should leave a gap between the plasterboard and insulation (however any gap created here would reduce the size of the gap between the felt and the insulation).

Also the insulation I have is foil backed on one side, I believe this side should face inwards towards the room, can someone confirm.

Sponsored Links
Yes all good to go, leave a 50mm air gap between the felt and insulation, the foil should face into the room. You are right to avoid a gap between the plasterboard and insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back