ring circuit continuity test x- link results

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
can anyone explain these results and possible fix on continuity tests of a ring circuit

x-link phase+neutral
skt 1 0.19 skt 2 0.15 skt 3 0.24 skt 4 0.21 skt 5 0.14

x- link phase + earth
skt 1 0.49 skt 2 0.31 skt 3 0.50 skt 4 0.61 skt 5 0.27

thanks

Sponsored Links
Makes little sense. Explain how you have done the test a little better.

Is this a test question? Skt 1 spur? Interconnection incorrect?

Are you testing on the socket terminals or via the plugtop/strip connector method.The latter will give false readings if the contact is poor between plugtop pin and socket, especially if the sockets are old.

Sponsored Links
Are you taking these readings through the socket face or directly at the terminals?

[EDIT] Too slow :D

i am a new to testing and testing my own house at moment
using a megger 1502/2
ring continuity is ok
but cross linking phase + neutral and phase + earth gives spurious results

I am using a "socket and see" plug-in connected to megger

thanks

Drop the socket faces and use test probes on the actual terminals then compare readings.

Assume cable is 2.5/1.5 T&E? If so, are the values for phase and neutral similar? Is the CPC roughly 1.67 times the value of the phase or neutral?

When cross connecting phase and neutral you should see a reading similar to that of the ring value of phase and neutral combined divided by four

(r1+rn)/4

When cross connecting phase and cpc you should see a reading similar to that of the ring value of phase and cpc combined divided by 4, this is known as R1+R2

R1+R2 = (r1+r2)/4

The R1+R2 recorded on the schedule of test results is the highest measured result with the L-E cross connection in place, more than likely measured at a spur.

Spark123 said:
The R1+R2 recorded on the schedule of test results is the highest measured result with the L-E cross connection in place, more than likely measured at a spur.

True but I was talking about a standard ringmain where the value of R1+R2 should be the same at each point.
Obviously the figure would be higher at a spur.

Yeah, I guessed that is what you were talking about though to clarify the situation that where sockets which are spurs exits, the recorded figure is as said.
In a ring final circuit where all sockets are part of the ring, all the resistances between L-E should be the same give or take a midges and be approximately a quarter of the r1+r2 at each point. The recorded R1+R2 is the maximum measured L-E resistance.
We have a proper ringmain at work too!! ;)

hi
sometimes if you get a bad reading you have to ram the plug in and out quick a couple of times, and flick the switch on and off a couple of times to improve the reading.
it may be due to dirt/ oxidisation on the plug/socket connection and switch contacts.
crude but effective as the tester voltage/ current is very low and is easily disturbed. it shouldnt really be an issue on new sockets though..
hope this helps you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back