Ring Main alteration - any problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have b***gerd up a bit, and while first fixing managed to make a ring around the sockets, but no legs to the CU.... :oops: I was having a bad day and not thinking.... Thing is its now all decorated and sorting it is only really possible by the following:

Spur off from an another ring main in the loft with a 6mm, take in to the back of one of my 4 dead sockets, which are then on another ring of there own but the same circuit.

Is this acceptable, its all protected by a 32A MCB and it is 2 rings really with a piece of 6mm joing them.

I know its not really the done practice... :confused: but there isnt much else I can do! :(

Sponsored Links
I don't like the sound of spurring off another RFC with 6mm in the loft as this will mean the existing ring can be loaded all from one point on it. It is also not a standard configuration.
If you can do that with a 6mm, can you not run 2x 2.5mm cables and make them the same ring?

Good Point! Didnt think of that!! Being blonde at the moment..... :confused: Thanks for your help..

Seeing as you've had such a bad day it might be worth testing the ring continuity just one more time to make sure it is a ring and there wont be any live ends hidden in the wall when you've finished ;)

Sponsored Links
Good advice Pensdown!! Pretty sure it is a ring, but I will check again!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back