ring Main query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one explain to me about resistance on a ring main.
my mate who is an apprentice electrician recently added some sockets for me, he tested the circit with a continuity tester ans when the Neutral and earth had continuity the reading on his meter was zero, when he tested live although the meter buzzed to suggest continuity the reading was one. He said that this was acceptable. I am probably worrying over nothing but can not see why live should read different from neutral when power is off.
Anyway I hope one of you can put my mind at rest..

Thanks

Graeme

Sponsored Links
A ring main is essentially a loop, or really 3 loops of wire, one a live loop, one a neutral loop, and one an earth loop. Each of these loops originate at, and return to the consumer unit. The live loop terminates (both ends) at it's fused live feed, the neutral terminates at a common neutral strip, and the earth terminates at a common earth strip. At some point, usually where the main incoming supply terminates, the neutral is connected to the earth. This is what forms the PME (protection main earth) system. Because the continuity test on the live loop is carried out with the fuse removed, then the resistance reading is only that of the live loop. When the earth and neutral loops are tested, they are in effect in parallel with each other, and so present only half of the resistance of the live loop. I hope this answers your worry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back