ring main socket wiring causing mains to trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently decided to fit a new plug socket to an existing outlet.I switched of the sockets switch on the main board leaving the lights still on. I disconnected the old socket, which had 4 wires each of red, black and earth connected to it and proceeded to straighten them a little on doing this the mains board tripped and switched of the lights. Any ideas about this one please. Thanks John :)

Sponsored Links
The trip is to be expected - turning off the socket circuit only isolated the live, and what you would have done would be to short neutral and earth. All the neutrals are connected together at the CU, so some of the current in the lighting circuit would have passed to earth, and the RCD did what it says on the tin - nothing to be alarmed about. Next time either remove the neutrals at the CU, or have a torch at the ready.

But now then...
4 wires each of red, black and earth connected to it
That's not right.

Where do they all go?

yeah be careful not to touch the earth with the neutrals, this will cause the RCD to trip. 4 of each wire doesn't sound right, it sounds like you've got another 2 sockets spurred of that one socket, it should b ok (but not recommended) but if in future the power trips for no apparent reason, that'll be why! try to find where the spurred sockets are (they will have just 1 set of wires in them) and beware not to overload them.

Thanks for the quick replies folks and the reassurance. I thought the extra wires must be coming from spurs. Will have to investigate.Thanks again folks. John :)

Sponsored Links
4 wires in a socket doesn't sound right to me either, only 1 spur per socket is allowed.

Thought that was right about the spurs will try to send pic
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back