Ring mains!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i was doing some measuring today, and it struck me. How big is the area a ring main can serve? my believe was that it is 100m2 but when i was mesauring today i noticed the ground floor of my house is larger than 100m2!

Sponsored Links
thats a fair ground floor area...
my bungalow is 120 M^2..including the built in garage...
surprised you havent gotten some advice so far...
best of luck..

is the kitchen on a seperate cuircuit and therefore not served by the ground floor ring

if the kitchen is on the downstairs ring it should definately be seperated and it may be an idea to split the remainder of the downstairs ring in half while you are at it

if not still might be an idea to split it at some point when its conviniant but its certainly not urgent

hey, i did some more measuring!

The house works out at about 140m2 including kitchen, although this is on a seperate circuit. although the upstairs floor is larger, as it goes over the garage.

Sponsored Links
yeah i would split it as and when it is reasonablly easy to do so (ie when redecoriting rooms anyway) but i defiantely would not see it as a serious fault

Well its a brand new house, so it really shouldn't have problems like this in the first place. Another thing to go into the "snagging" list. lol

just a thought, would this also mean the voltage drop would be too high on this circuit?

ChrisRogers said:
Well its a brand new house, so it really shouldn't have problems like this in the first place.
Should also mean you don't have to pay for it to be put right..

just a thought, would this also mean the voltage drop would be too high on this circuit?
Not necessarily - that depends on the length of the cable. The floor area limit is there as a rough way to limit the load on the circuit. Since there's no real way to size the load for a socket circuit, and since it is not acceptable to use the protective device to limit the load, there are defined floor area limits for ring and radial socket circuits. How much sense they make is anybody's guess - e.g. there's no reason why a large bedroom would potentially create more load than a small one, or a big entrance hall. Also - have you deducted the bathrooms and WCs, where there are no sockets?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back