Rip out and replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Our central heating is well past its best and needs replacing. The central heating boiler (separate heating and hot water boilers - one upstairs, one downstairs) is 20+ years old, the radiators are newer but several have pinhole leaks and the whose system is clogged up with black gunk. I have flushed the rads several times over the last couple of years (take them off and run through with a hose) but it provides only marginal improvement and then the gunk returns.
Anyway, Im considering ripping the whole thing out - boiler, rads, pipework, expansion tank and pump and starting with a fully clean system. I dont see the point in changing the boiler and rads and leaving in contaminated pipework etc.
Has anyone had this dilema before? I know changing boilers and/or changing rads is the norm but how much upheaval and cost can I expect from a complete rip out and replace (possibly looking to put in a combi rather than keeping the separate hot water boiler upstairs).
4 bed end terrace
Concrete floors downstaris, floorboards up, 9 rads in total
I have considered draining the system, switching off the flow to the exp tank, ripping out rads and hanging new rads myself where I want them to reduce cost. Is this a sensible start to save cost?
Any feedback appreciated!

Sponsored Links
When you say separate boilers, do you actually men you have two gas fired boilers or a boiler plus hot water cylinder? (common terminology confusion).

If your system is pin holing newish rads you have a problem which a new boiler will not necessarily remedy, depending on the actions of the installer. Probably worth a complete refit.

Flushing rads, arguably, but in my opinion, is a waste of effort. Sludge will be distributed through the system and emptying the rads of it doesn't stop the redistribution as soon as you turn the pump on.

There will be disruption but the extent and effect will depend on the installer and layout of the new and old system.

As far as cost is concerned, again it depends. You need some installers to give you a quote. My advice is not to dismiss local independents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back