Rip the CH out and start again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relative has a gas central heating system which has been fine for the last 25 years but is starting to play up now. The immediate problem is that the boiler is sometimes failing to light. It's a Potterton Netaheat 16/22 F Mk II, and the plumber called to fix it has advised that it's too old to be worth repairing. It's an old boiler and stands to reason that it won't last forever so that seems quite reasonable.

The problem is that the plumber is also saying that it isn't possible to simply replace the boiler. I would have thought that apart from moving a few pipes around and a bit of rewiring the new boiler would effectively be a like for like replacement leaving the rest of the system alone. However, we're being told that because the installation doesn't meet "the new regulations" it will be necessary to rip out the whole existing central heating system and install everything from scratch: pipework, radiators, the lot. This is likely to take weeks and cost many thousands of pounds.

The existing system has a gas boiler, pumped circuit feeding radiators and the hot water tank with a three port valve to control both flows. One potential problem is that most of the CH is on a twin pipe system but part of it is on a single pipe system. Another potential problem is that most of the pipes on the ground floor were cast into the concrete raft when the house was built. I don't see any technical reason why the single pipe part shouldn't be upgraded to twin pipe (leaving the rest of the system alone) but apparently this isn't permitted because of "the new regulations". The plumber has also said that he wouldn't be able to make use of any of the buried pipes and would have to run new pipes everywhere, but gave the impression this was because the buried pipes were too old to be relied on not because of any explicit regulation forbidding them.

Can any of the experienced plumbers here shed any light on the situation - can you guess what "new regulations" he might have been referring to and is it likely that the regulations do actually require the whole system to be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Look up part L1 building regulations. By just changing the boiler you will breach the code but it's unlikely that none of the system complies to the point where it requires complete replacement.

Look up part L1 building regulations. By just changing the boiler you will breach the code but it's unlikely that none of the system complies to the point where it requires complete replacement.

Thanks for that. As far as I can see from the Planning Portal, the relevant section is Approved Document L1B: Conservation of fuel and power (Existing dwellings) (2006 edition) which I have found here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2006.pdf

Looks as if I have a lot of reading to do (unless some kind soul knows this well enough to tell me what the implications are for this case).

Edit:

Having scanned through the thirty odd pages, most of it seems to be about extensions and building renovation work. I haven't seen anything that would apply to a boiler replacement. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place after all.

For starters, netaheat is a tank and as long as it does not leak water or fumes, it can be repaired, and normally quite easily at that.
In case of a new boiler, there is no reason you can not keep your rads, and the twin pipe system, leaving only single pipe part to be upgraded.
To comply fully, you would need new controls, and new valves. As they are probably also 25 years old, that would be a good idea anyway.
Sounds like you need another plumber, more than another boiler.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Ben.

No reason to have a complete new system :eek:

New boiler, trv's on all rads except one in room with room stat, full programmer to control HW and CH seperately, and possibly a new DHW cylinder.

Find another installer who knows what he is talking about and is busy enough so as not to want to 'make a big job' out of it :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back