To rip it out or start again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I literally just finished plumbing in new shower, using plastic polypipe and brass compression joints with copper olives and pipe inserts (about 20 in total).

The system has water pressure in it now and there are no leaks so all good.

Except the very next day I happen to be talking to two professional plumbers who both told me that 'cross breeding' plastic pipe and brass fittings was a no go and that it's likely to develop problems 2-3 yrs down the line

I still haven't finished the boxing in so I could in theory rip out the pipe work and replace with all plastic (the pipes in the floor are plastic) relatively easily (emotional pain and frustration aside!)

So any experience of 'cross breeding' plastic and brass - any horror stories?

I'm probably leaning toward doing the work but any advice / experience would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
You've used copper olives (good move), as long as the inserts are all in and the joints made properly you shouldn't have a problem. Ignore them.

Sponsored Links
I wouldent box in compression fittings unless you can get to them easily, for some reason people get the hump when you have to smash their tiles off just to nip up a weeping compression joint. :LOL:

Personally I hate plastic...I've seen far too many problems with the manufacture of it and design faults in the fittings. Add on the often poor installation, rodents attack etc and it's always a compromise to copper.

One of the problems of compression fittings on plastic is the "compression set" the pipe undergoes when crimped by the olive. You may find that although the fitting feels sufficiently tight when initially made, after a week or so the compression nut can be tightened further as the plastic has relaxed. In the meantime the fitting can blow off the pipe. I have seen major flooding of a house due to this issue.

The other problem is that manufacturers (and tradesman) will often state there is no requirement to lubricate the threads on the fittings. That may have been the case with quality fittings from years ago but modern fittings will squeel from friction and you will not get them sufficiently tight to ensure an adequate seal. Again I see many fittings that have leaked...not necessarily straightaway but months later.

Thanks Gasguru - that's what I was slightly afraid of

So if it were you I assume you'd do the work and replace it - your reservations around plastic aside?

On the point around getting the threads sufficiently tight is that in reference to plastic fittings or the pain of fitting plastic pipe to metal fittings?

Thanks

Regardless of plastic or copper pipe the threads need lubricating to ensure friction is overcome.

If you are going to use plastic then I would use push fit fittings too. Then of course which system is best. IMHO Tectite Classic and Pex pipe but as I say all copper is best IMHO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back