ripped off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,had a problem previously with locking out of boiler,someone suggested dhw flow switch which i had changed by a company,here comes the best bit,at the end after doin alot of what i consider wasting time to bunk the bill up,handed me a bill for £323.00,the part was £68.i hit the roof saying that takes the p..s as i had a pcb done at just over £200 and fan fitted for rougly the same price.i contacted another plumber he said at the most you would be charged 1 hours labour, not 3 hours.phoned the company to which there was no ansewer,convenient !!! so guys what i want to know is who can i contact to sort this company out of being ripped off,is there some association or board?

Sponsored Links
Would it not have bee prudent to ask for an indication of price before allowing work to commence?

true,but its been playing up for 2 weeks,the previos plumber didn't solve the problem,so wanted it done,i even thought myself it would be an hours labour.what about this agrrement to start work before the 7 day cancellation period,i didn't sign it

Hold your fire a moment.....what boiler, who suggested it was the dhw flow switch, who sourced it, what did the engineer who fitted it say when you queried the bill to justify it, what hourly change where they making, did you agree/know what this was etc etc.

It is not just a case of another engineer who has not seen the boiler, has no idea what access there is to it or the state of repair it's in giving a 'it should only take.....' answer.

You may well be right but present ALL relevant info first

Sponsored Links
the company tested the flow switch and said yes it is the switch,i didn't have any willy nilly come and fix it,but i did say to him it was a common problem,which i sourced from this forum.

You didn't answer the questions i posed......do so and we can advise as to whether the charge levied is fair and reasonable or not.....otherwise we can't help you

Hold your fire a moment.....what boiler, who suggested it was the dhw flow switch, who sourced it, what did the engineer who fitted it say when you queried the bill to justify it, what hourly change where they making, did you agree/know what this was etc etc.

It is not just a case of another engineer who has not seen the boiler, has no idea what access there is to it or the state of repair it's in giving a 'it should only take.....' answer.

You may well be right but present ALL relevant info first
i put a thread on here the other day,of what problem i'm having and all the symptoms of my potterton puma boiler,the reply was it sounds like the DHWflow switch.so i found a company they told me the hourly rate (£69) and they came out,i told i had previous work done but hadn't resolved the problem,told him i'd been on here and said to him that it was suggested that it might be the flow switch,he asked me what the symptoms was and then he done his tests and came to the conclusion it was the switch.he went away to get a part,came back fitted it,but seemed to p...s about,as it didn't take long to remove,i know he has to do his safety checks to make sure theres no leaks.so anyway,he gives me the bill,which i hit the roof as i compared it to previous work(pcb,fan) which i was only charged an hours labour.i didn't sign the agreement as i was never asked to.

:eek: Isnt this a diy site? Why are we here deliberating on traders?

Did he charge for the time he went away and got the part?.

Have you paid? If so how.

I assume the boiler is now working, is this correct?

For what it's worth both of you are on a sticky wicket. I always get customers to sign for my t&c's before starting work. But you did contact them and contract with them to do the work (verbally) but also in action.....ie you didn't confirm a fixed price or from your comments query the hourly rate.

I suggest you write to them saying you feel the total cost is unjustified and request a 2hr refund.......if they refuse you have little option but to sue. I doubt trading standards will be too interested unless the outfit has a string of similar complaints......

As I understand it , you do not have to sign anything in order to enter into a contract , verball agreements or contracts , are legally enforcable ( although more difficult) , providing they are not made in or at any venue were alchohol might be consumed pub , club , party e.c.t . If you believe that you have been ripped off , try trading standards ??

Did he charge for the time he went away and got the part?.

Have you paid? If so how.

I assume the boiler is now working, is this correct?

For what it's worth both of you are on a sticky wicket. I always get customers to sign for my t&c's before starting work. But you did contact them and contract with them to do the work (verbally) but also in action.....ie you didn't confirm a fixed price or from your comments query the hourly rate.

I suggest you write to them saying you feel the total cost is unjustified and request a 2hr refund.......if they refuse you have little option but to sue. I doubt trading standards will be too interested unless the outfit has a string of similar complaints......
paid by debit details on bottom of invoice,boiler is working now.
will be phoning them in the morning as there was no ansewer when i phoned at the time.thanks for your help bud

For future reference Heateam do fixed price insurance that will cover your boiler for the year and it is about 200ish per annum.

Take it from me you'll need a new board soon.......and another flow switch, and another board......

need i say more?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back