advice please, accused of ripping a punter off lol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
called out to a baxi 401 back boiler/fire front yesterday.

new gas valve required. lady then asks to have boiler and fire serviced while i had it all stripped down which i did

when i told her how much it was she said i was ripping her off which of course i did not.

please could some fellow self-employed guys tell me what they would have charged her.

if i get 3 replies i'll let uyou know how much i billed her for

i almost dropped when she said i was a thief, even though i was the knight in shining armour when no one else cold help her

Sponsored Links
Honeywell grey button valve? £47 +vat.

Supply and fit £180 inc.

To service a back boiler which I don;'t do but if I did £90 if I was changing the gas valve at the same time otherwise £120.

Parts Centers price for the valve £119, labour £60, both +VAT. Service on top at the same time £65 +VAT, on it's own £90 +

I charge £60 + VAT for a service on a BBU.

New gas valve would be charged at Parts Center full retail plus £20-£40 + VAT, if replaced at the same visit.

I also charge £10-£20 for the travel time to get the new valve/part.

Sponsored Links
she is not a "stupid cow"
she is just ignorant of costs.

next time always give a quote of how much a job will be.

you could always offer to put the old one back for free

woooooooooooooooo breezer.

i can assure you buddy she was a stupid cow, i had to listen to her. and by the way i told her over the phone a rough estimate depending on what fault it was, also nothing mentioned about servicing at the time and no call out charge, i think the stupid cow done no bad out of it

To offer a punters perspective. £210 for a new gas valve and full service doesn't sound too bad to me, especially if the old boiler (the Baxi not the customer) was out of action at the time.

But I don't like "surprises" so I agree with Breezer - a quote beforehand means no-one gets a surprise.

with some punters you can

1 turn up ten minutes beforethe fault occurs
2 replace EVERYTHING in the house (including carpets)
3 GIve the punter a 100 quid for their trouble
4 Give them YOUR HOUSE whilst you work

and they STILL wont be happy the ungrateful bunch of barstewards

:)

i said over the phone, Depending on what is at fault (i had not been to the property) it could be anything from 60 to 180.

it was i that got the surprise when she squeezed the boiler and fire service on me once there.

so to my mind she got her fire and boiler serviced for 35/40 quid,

very reasonable

to confirm costs were discussed over the phone without mention of servicing

hence stupid cow. she must have thought we do them free

it was i that got the surprise when she squeezed the boiler and fire service on me once there

Had many that try this one on over the years. Must confess to having been caught on the odd occasion. :oops:

Now tell 'em that, owing to the work schedule for the day, I will need to return to carry out the service at a later date and for a charge of £XX. Some still try though. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back