Rising damp in the entry way behind the electric box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a solution to fix a rising damp on the wall next to the entry door.
Attaching some pictures of the inside and exterior. You can see that the skirting board has water marks rising from below.
Initially I thought it was the hole around the armoured cable entering the house from outside.
There is also the incoming cable from ground into the meter box. the hole is not fully filled in.
However inside I could also see that the damp is all along that wall not just where the hole is.
The peak is actually slightly after the hole on the ground. I can see a gap between the outside paving and the outer wallbrick.
Can I just fillall the holes and will that stop the damp? What can I use to fill the gap and the hole? Can I use foam or cement? do I need add any other damp protection mechanism?
Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9585.jpg
    IMG_9585.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9584.jpg
    IMG_9584.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9583.jpg
    IMG_9583.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9582.jpg
    IMG_9582.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
stand back and take some much wider pics inside and out. include any drains gullies and pipes. And gutters above. Very often the damp will be coming from a nearby drain or plumbing fault. I think the pavers cover up a gulley and it looks like water is coming from it. lift them out.

It looks to me like those paving bricks have been added since the house was built, and probably bridge the original DPC. Can you see it on any part of the building. It will be two bricks above where the ground level used to be when it was built.

Thanks @JohnD .. Two more pics of the exterior.. In the pics posted earlier you can see the dpc (black plastic) sticking out under the last bottom brick visible. That entry way is built later so looks like the dpc is done at the floor level as opposed to the other side of the house where it is above the ground level. I am not very sure about pavers added their own damp course.
You can see the gutter above and the down pipe on the other side of the door which has the installed drain.

Attachments

• IMG_9588.jpg
    IMG_9588.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9587.jpg
    IMG_9587.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 64
OP,
I dont see signs of a gulley? I do see a down pipe from the porch gutter entering the Aco drain.
I dont see a DPC either - fwiw, any DPC visible in your pics would be far too high to be effective.
Why? because the ground surface has been raised too high.
Why? because its presumed the doorway threshold is the FFL height in both porch and house.
Saturated & stained near ground level brick work can be seen - pointing is missing or failed.
The brick bonding implies you have solid walls.

Ref. the interior damp damage:
There might be splash soaking the lower brickwork.
The pavers are too high.
The fence post might be trapping capillary moisture against the wall?
Extend the linear drain across the whole frontage.
Remove all damaged plaster in the porch area - allow say four weeks to dry out & then replace with a sand & lime 3:1 mix of render.
Replace all skirtings.
There's possible rot and damp damage to the timber door threshold.
I assume you have solid floors in the porch & the main house?

FWIW: the flashing on the sloping roof abutment is incorrectly fitted - but if no leaks then live with it.

Sponsored Links
Hi @tell80 , Thank you so much for your valuable advice. We are looking to install and aco channel and will see how it goes. I will report back once all the work done.. Thanks again so much for your comment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back