rising damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, the damp course of my house is comprised of two courses of blue brick. the house walls are stepped back by 1" from damp course upwards with a cement fillet on the 'step'. i noticed recently that this fillet looks damp in 4 places where there is a vertical joint in the blue brick below. thinking the cavity may be bridged with droppings i removed a couple of bricks but found the cavity clear to below the damp course level.
what's the remedy please?
should add that this wall is not open to the elements as it is enclosed within a built on garage.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the blue brick is engineering brick, and is therefore impervious to rising damp.
In any event if there is no damp internally why are you bothered?.

The fillit is probably damp due to a local phenomenom known as "rain", it's purpose is to deflect the "rain" from the wall, often getting damp in the process. Seriously though as Anobium points out whats the problem?

Sponsored Links
Rain inside the garage???

Agree with comments though.

If it ain't broke............don't start deconstructing your house! :unsure:

2 courses of Staffs is usually OK to stop damp, but the mortar should be 3/1, and if a bit weaker may be allowing some damp through the joints, but not really a worry on the external skin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back