Risk assessment for small builds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a neighbour who is demanding to see a written risk assessment for an extension build before access is granted onto their land. Is this a done thing for small build jobs with under 5 people on site? They're digging their heels in to see one, never in my life have I had to deal with these sort of demands before.

Sponsored Links
RAMS are a standard requirement in the construction industry theses days.
An good builder or contractor will have various RAMS for the works involved with their job. Also give them a copy of his public liability insurance.

As parties to the work (that isn't maintenance) that's a legitimate condition for allowing access, requiring method statements etc from you is sensible on their part for liability reasons.
You can expect them to be monitoring compliance if the job starts so you/your builder needs to get them right not just download generics.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a jobs worth who knows some of the HSE requirements and some legislation (I used to be a risk manager for a major utility company).

Better to make the RAMS specific to the work they will be doing on the site, rather than a generic one off the web.
Sounds like the neighbour may have been bitten by an insurance claim in the past and has learnt a lesson. If you produce a generic one he may simply refuse it. I've had contractors turn up with a generic one, or even one for a different site, explaining what they would be doing with such & such piece of equipment. The look on their faces when I've said, we don't have any of that equipment on site. Now go away and do one specific to this building.

People think this is a big deal, but it really isn't. A RA is just a list of things that could possibly be a hazard/go wrong and two tables (if you like) for each risk - 1) How likely is it to happen - low-med-high and if it does happen how serious is it low-med-high. Once you have the RA, you write a method for each task describing how the work should progress to avoid the risks identified. It requires a little thought but isn't rocket science.

Risk - deliveries - delivery vehicle support pads might damage neighbours drive. Likelihood medium, hazard low.
Method statement. During deliveries vehicles will be asked to position to north side of access so as not to encroach on neighbour access. Weight distribution pads will be used to minimise/avoid any risk of surface damage.

As above. It's not just about hazards to life and limb. For instance, does the neighbour have dogs or kids? If there's space, consider an airlock fence (so there is never an open exit to the street while people/equipment move on and off site. Put boards down across their land (set at start of day, strike at end) so your workers don't generate ruts or trails of rubbish.
Yes it'll cost time. That's a cost you'll have to swallow if you want the job to go ahead.

People think this is a big deal, but it really isn't. A RA is just a list of things that could possibly be a hazard/go wrong and two tables (if you like) for each risk - 1) How likely is it to happen - low-med-high and if it does happen how serious is it low-med-high. Once you have the RA, you write a method for each task describing how the work should progress to avoid the risks identified. It requires a little thought but isn't rocket science.

Risk - deliveries - delivery vehicle support pads might damage neighbours drive. Likelihood medium, hazard low.
Method statement. During deliveries vehicles will be asked to position to north side of access so as not to encroach on neighbour access. Weight distribution pads will be used to minimise/avoid any risk of surface damage.
very well put!

Thank you @mrrusty that does make sense. They're also asking for a PAS91 from the builders? Any idea what that actually is???

We've got a neighbour who is demanding to see a written risk assessment for an extension build before access is granted onto their land. Is this a done thing for small build jobs with under 5 people on site? They're digging their heels in to see one, never in my life have I had to deal with these sort of demands before.

Who is the principal contractor?

he or she will need to comply with CDM 2015 -that will probably include the basics of what your neighbour is asking for

domestic builders wont have that

PAS91 is a standardised questionnaire to assess capability of suppliers
Why would they be asking for that? I read up a bit more and it seems PAS91s are more for public sector work?

PAS91 is for tendering for construction work mainly on large projects. Fair enough asking for a risk assessment for those elements that may take place on your neighbours land, fair enough asking for a copy of the public liability insurance cover but as for PAS91 I would ask them why they think it is relevant.

They have obviously swallowed an HSE website or construction manual.

What employment does the neighbour have? Perhaps its something he or she comes across in the workplace.

Whilst the neighbour is seeming like a jobsworth, its actually good practice for building contractors to communicate with neighbours and consider risk implications

a major bugbear is when a projects gets to the later stages and loads of tradesmen are on site -Ive seen 10 vans on a small extension sometimes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back