Road deaths.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Road death comparison sorted by rate per 100,000 population.

roadeaths2765.jpg

The 4 countries below GB have a population total of 30.3 million between them... Near 50% of GB.
Given the hammer the Brit motorist recieves, with an enviable record, some of the other EU (OECD even) countries should be shooting their errant drivers. :)
When would the effects of Euro NCAP rating improvements have been a contributory factor - from say 2000?? More effect than cameras I am sure.

Bus drivers recruited from Poland based upon - excellence, cheapness or 'they must be good to have survived !' So much for stats...

The Brit' 'hammer' has to be about raising dosh and removing us from the roads.

:D

Sponsored Links
Pip I noticed your table of accidents in the final column is based on population and not number of motorists(cars,motorbikes etc on the road), doesn't that make it a bit inaccurate?

pointless survey without knowing
condition of roads/vehicles
passenger time in vehicle between accidents [including how many in vehicle adding to passenger time]

how many mountain passes do we have in britain with unprotected falls!!!!

also most accidents in britain are in built up areas where slower speeds are involved so perhaps if we had twisty mountanous roads and more than one person per vehicle instead of motorways we would have a higher count

i am also assuming britain has one of the highest car ownership per person!!!

Would it not be extrordinarily difficult to incorporate such factors, Al?

I agree with the point you make about so much driving in UK done in built-up areas, hence the favourable figures. But it is interesting to note the different positions in the table of countries with seemingly similar populations and driving conditions, say Belgium as against the Netherlands and Germany compared to Austria (OK there's a few more hills).

Sponsored Links
The right-hand column is the important one

The USA figure is shockingly high

Some of that will be because they don't wear seat belts much

And some due to person-miles as they like driving

Can't tell how much is due to what though.

Deaths per person-miles (km) would be useful.

In some poorer countries higher deaths will be aggravated by unavailability of rescue and hospital services for borderline survivable crashes.

There's also a pattern that Western Europe is safer than the East; and Northern Europe is safer than the South.

The high figures for the USA could be accountable to how many vehicles are on their roads or to the amount of population? its just that the table can be interpreted many different ways and is not definitive because of that.

What they have done is use a criteria and just given figures but is it the correct criteria to have used in order to accomplish a numbered chart.
perhaps we shouldnt take the positioning of countries on that table as important in determining the worst offender?

Right-hand colums says that in 2005,
USA had 14.7 road deaths per 100,000 population
GB had 5.5 road deaths per 100,000 population

So it is already corrected for population (but not for person-miles)

In terms of "long life and safety" and risk reduction, I've heard that there are only two things that make a big difference:
- Stop smoking
- Always wear your seat belt
Nothing else comes close.

Right-hand colums says that in 2005,
USA had 14.7 road deaths per 100,000 population
GB had 5.5 road deaths per 100,000 population

So it is already corrected for population (but not for person-miles)

Which is what I was getting at the table is based on population but not on vehicles per population. therefore a country that has more vehicles per population may have a higher accident rate than a country with less vehicles per population this is ok in itself but not if you are creating a "Top Ten" worst offenders table, its misleading. If you wish to create a "Top Ten" table then it must consist of far more criteria which in practical terms would probably be impossible to do

There are probably more cities in the states than anywhere else, one of the factors that will distort a population based result.

perhaps a table of worst offending countries should be based on equal sized location vs equal amount vehicles vs equal amount pedestrians vs..........

Thats the impossible impractical criteria for an "accurate" table.
without it who can say that the USA is any better than Lithuania or GB or Outer Mongolia(deaths by rickshaw?)

Ok, here we go.... Even better are we not?
See the right most column...
anotherview-1252.jpg

At least I played fair with the first table - we were 4th best, now we are 2nd....
Just look at the USA over 7 trillion passenger km ... Standing 8th best at 174 million passenger km per death.

Let us have some carrot and less stick !!

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back