Rode VideoMic issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought this to use with my Samsung A52 smartphone:

VideoMic Me-C | Microphone for USB-C Mobiles | RØDE Microphones (rode.com)

The first time I tried it, no issues. Was just a quick test indoors using tv to compare inbuilt mic vs the Rode. The latter definitely boosted the audio with no noticeable sound interference.

Since that first test, whenever I connect it I'm getting a terrible hissing noise. I tried updating the firmware for the mic, have also tried turning WiFi etc off on the phone as these are cited as possible causes.

No joy :(

I don't want to have to muck about (not to any great extent anyway) in post production trying to remove the hiss. I need confidence that when I'm shooting on my smartphone, the external mic is doing its job without issue.

Any ideas? Is this mic basically sh1t? It gets not bad reviews although the hissing thing does seem quite a common issue. Some sites say other surrounding WiFi things can cause issues, however I don't want to have to switch my home WiFi off every time I use the mic!

Sponsored Links
First thing I would do is plug a set of headphones into the headphone socket to monitor the actual sound the mic is producing to see where the problem lies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back