rodent proof loft insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to an old house next to a mahooosive wheat field, so I have a "nature problem".

I'm renovating one end of the house and the loft appears to have been infested in the past with mice - I pulled down the 1st floor plasterboard ceiling (wearing apropriate PPE) and was showered in mouse poo, a body count of more than 10 dead dessicated mice that must have been poisoned at some point in the past, and they had clearly been nesting in the insulation..

I'm going to do my best to block up any entry holes, but making the place entirely mouse proof is likely to be impossible. So in replacing the loft insulation i want to make it as unattractive a home for them as possible.

What sort of insulation would folks recommend to deter vermin? I read on one website that polyester insulation (so like the contents of cheap duvets?) is good as they can't burrow or chew it, and they get their claws caught so it discourages them from hanging out there...

Fiberglass, cellulose, ecowool etc all seems to be fine mouse nesting material?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
In my experience there's no material that they won't chew, apart from metal, concrete and glass.
I eradicated mice from my loft by placing a fine metal mesh all around the eaves, stapled to the wallplates and rafters.
Never had a problem since.
In gaps that you can't properly seal with mesh, put wire wool and hard mixed cement.

Mice and rats chew fibrglass insulation and rigid celetex boards.

Id guess they would chew rockwall too?

Mice and rats chew fibrglass insulation and rigid celetex boards.

Id guess they would chew rockwall too?
They don't chew it but the use it to stay warm, they shred it to small pieces, so not a good barrier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - yes I am also trying to prevent access - as I am renovating I'm installing 24 ga stainless wire mesh in all the eaves, which should stop the little feckers getting in that way, but there are parts of the eaves I can't reach for now, and as the house is circa 1750 I am sure there are well used access routes I haven't found yet.

I just want to make the loft as unattractive a place to set up home as possible, if they do get in...

Probably will be very expensive, but maybe kingspan (or similar) would be best - although they might still burrow into it.
Read that spraying everything with a water/bleach at 10/1 mix can deter them.
Maybe leave traps around the house where they enter and presumably leave at times for food?

Sounds like your electrical wiring is at great risk, unless it is in metal conduit or some kind of metallic sheath.

Rigid insulation cut to fit with fine wire mesh all around the pieces before they are fitted?.

As said above they love chewing wiring as well unfortunately..

Why do mice like chewing wiring? That is pretty odd really. Can't taste nice, and some must get frazzled now and then.

I haven't yet seen any evidence of wire chewing, perhaps they don't like 1970s twin and earth (when the place was rewired).

They have been chewing the foam pipe insulation extensively, thankfully all the piping is copper and I plan to keep it that way...

The cold water tank is coming out soon, I suspect there's a few bodies in there...

Wish you didn't say that, we still have a cold water tank! Only feeds one shower, and soon, one toilet, I think ...

They chew it to file their teeth down apparently, same as squirrels and SWA cables..

They chew it to file their teeth down apparently, same as squirrels and SWA cables..

I thought that was rats rather than mice, however after finding the following I cede to your better knowledge.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/mouse-teeth-1238479

Going ever so slightly off topic, I recall reading about rats chewing through copper pipes in the plumbing section of this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back