Rodent taste preferences

I'm not sure how discriminatory a rat's sense of taste is, given some of the things they eat. Also, they might chew on cables to wear their teeth down, not as a food source.
I can't believe that PVC is a food source for any mammal (maybe a few bacteria), so I'm not sure what the reason/motivation is. One often sees the nibbling close to where a cable passes through a hole (e.g. in a joist), in which case they might be trying to reduce the 'obstructions' so that they can get through the hole - but, as I said, that was not generally the case in the house I recently saw.

Whatever the reason for the nibbling, in that house one can but assume that the very dramatic discrimination (between T+E and 'everything else') was based on taste and/or smell - probably not colour, since they attacked white, grey, black and brown sheathed 'small cables', but very largely spared (both white and grey) T+E ... and not electromagnetic fields, since everything was switched off.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back