Roller garage door

The usual design (on steel roller doors) is the box is supported by the vertical guide tracks, which are fixed to the side walls. As long as you have space between lintel & rest of the ex roof it'll be fine. I assume the ally ones are the same....

Sponsored Links
I'd like to fit the roller shutter door behind the lintel, but how would I fit the box to the lintel?

I can fit (only just) a small roller 205mm box without the box showing externally.

They don't normally fit in a box, if they are mounted inside a garage - they just have a bracket at the two roll ends fitted with bearings, with the roll fully visible. When they mount them outside - then the roll is in an enclosed box.

I cannot recall precisely how the box / frame ( internal ) was supported in my DIY install but I suspect ( from memory ) that it was not supported by the vertical guide rails

I cannot recall precisely how the box / frame ( internal ) was supported in my DIY install but I suspect ( from memory ) that it was not supported by the vertical guide rails

Mine is. The side guides bolt in place at either side of the opening, then the roll brackets sit on top of those and are also fixed back themselves. As said, no box, just the roll on show if mounted inside.

Sponsored Links
They don't normally fit in a box, if they are mounted inside a garage - they just have a bracket at the two roll ends fitted with bearings, with the roll fully visible. When they mount them outside - then the roll is in an enclosed box.
Yeah you're quite right there, my memory is def getting rubbish....with the internal fix you usually have to do something so there isn't a howling gap above the roller when the door is shut (unless you have extra height on the door so the roller is well above the top of the opening)

Yeah you're quite right there, my memory is def getting rubbish....with the internal fix you usually have to do something so there isn't a howling gap above the roller when the door is shut (unless you have extra height on the door so the roller is well above the top of the opening)

My door, at the very top lath, has four sets of nylon brackets - forming like a chain of three brackets (12 in total). They link the door, to the motor/spindle. As the door closes, these brackets go over centre forcing the top lath tight to the opening and also prevent the door being lifted from outside to gain entry - basically locking it down.

It depends on where you buy it from.

Some are supplied as a box some supply it without the box and some offer the box as an option.

I need the box/.roller behind the lintel, I'm guessing I coukd just use tec screws to attach the box to the lintel

In my case, the roller end brackets drop into the side guides, which take all of the weight of the roller door and motor. The brackets then just need a fixing back to the vertical surface, to stabilise them. A brown plug and No 14 screw was enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back