Rollers vs Pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Have just bought our first house and we would like to paint the interior walls (they are all Magnolia at the moment). I am a DIY novice and would value anybody's opinion on which decorating tools to use.

Which are best for painting - rollers or pads?

I keep seeing ads on the dodgy shopping channels for the Tuxedo painting system, where the paint is actually in the roller. Does anybody have any experience with these? Are they any good?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Fournil

In my experience rollers cover large areas faster than pads. But then pads can get into the corners better. Though I've seen rollers with plastic shields on one side for painting close to skirting/architrave etc. (Woolworths, Wilkinson) I've never used these but they look like they might save time.

If using a roller it will give off a shower of tiny splatters. So make sure you cover EVERYTHING you don't want painted including any near by windows. (Though paint splatters on glass can be removed after with a blade). The rollers you use with emulsion tend to give a very slightly textured finish, whereas pads will be smoother.

If you need to give two coats you can wrap the roller in cling film overnight, so it saves washing it out. From experience- wash out the tray thoroughly if using the next day as any bits of paint left will harden and be transferred onto the wall.

I've never used the tuxedo painting system, so can't comment.

Amanda ;)

Hi amandaeb

Thanks for the advice. I've got a lot of walls to paint so it looks like Rollers are the best option. I liked the advice about the tray, never occured to me like that.

I can't find anybody who has used the Tuxedo paint system, at £30 it is pricey, but if it does the job half as well as the the advertising says it might just be worth it.

Cheers
Fournil

I have used both rollers and pads quite a bit and I prefer the pad system, it is almost as fast to put the paint on, I find with a roller you have to keep wiping splatters off the gloss work etc, unless you mask it all but that takes a fair bit of time, the other thing is that the pads will go right into the corners whereas with a roller you ussually have to use a brush or a pad to do round the edges because the roller won't get right into the corners. So by the time you factor in having to do the edges and the cleanup time I reckon the pads are quicker. At the end of the day it's down to personal preference.

I havn't tried the tuxedo system but I am sceptical about the value of having automatic paint feed, It's more expensive, it will make the roller heavier to use and assuming it does work as it says it will it will probably only save a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
I have tried the Tuxedo system and am not a huge fan!!

I have just moved flats and had to paint the entire place. Much preferred pads to rollers. Think it is just a matter of taste!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back