Ronseal Dark Oak Satin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I’ve painted my fence using Ronseal Dark Oak. The window frames need painted too, but Ronseal only seem to do this in a satin which is drying with a “wet looking” finish.

is there anything I can do to overcome this, or an alternative manfacturer paint very similar to this colour?

FYI the current pint on the windows has a Matt looking finish.

Sponsored Links
The slight sheen will disappear with uv lights and rain.
I like that ronseal satin finish with that slight sheen to it, but on exterior it doesn't last long.
Possibly only one summer.

Thanks. I’ve read the spec sheet for it and it does say that it will show through any blemishes etc which are below it. The problem is that there are some bits I’ve had to sand back to the wood as the instructions say, but when you paint it, the sanded bit is a lighter colour! How can I overcome this?

Thanks. I’ve read the spec sheet for it and it does say that it will show through any blemishes etc which are below it. The problem is that there are some bits I’ve had to sand back to the wood as the instructions say, but when you paint it, the sanded bit is a lighter colour! How can I overcome this?
Don't overcome it.
The beauty of wood is that it's not perfect.
Anyone who expects a perfect finish on wood needs to buy things from ikea.

Sponsored Links
There’s many stains and varnishes out there that will do the job in dark oak. However preparation is key to a good finish and getting the base coat right for wood makes all the difference. Over sanding leads to patching and it’s these bits that need building up to match the rest of the wood before finishing the top coat. Personally I have always used Sikkens but you might want to explore the website and their insight into wood finishes and adapt it for your needs. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back