Roof advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone,

I live in a cottage that dates from the early 19th century.

It was in reasonably good condition when we moved in, but as you've probably experienced yourselves, very old in terms of fixtures, fittings etc.

Several really good tradesmen have worked on various aspects : plastering, rendering and the roof.

I have done as much as I can on things, but until recently I ran my own business and worked extortionate hours.

Now that has moved along a bit, I am taking lot more time to really comb over everything that needs doing.

The pitched roof had a lot of work that remedied all the immediate problems. One of which was condensation.

However, if I post some of photos, could someone give me a little pointer as to whether or not I'm over analysing things on a quite and old roof, please?

I would really appreciate it as I'm not critcising tradesmen who have been, I could do with some objective help?

Thanks

Niven

Sponsored Links
Thats what the forums for Niven, post the pics and your queries and await the replies. :D

Thanks Alastair and everyone.

The story is similar to hundreds you have probably heard, but in order to provide helpful background.

Bought the house a couple of years ago. It was built in the first instance in the early nineteenth century, but there have been renovations since then.

Went up in the loft when I looked at the house and saw that roof was leaking from a chimney that is no longer used and that the breast of has been removed.

Negotiated a lower price based on that.

Bearing in mind this is a mid-terrace cottage, at the other side of the property, the neighbour's cottage adjoins at an angle as the block follow the road. I probably should have enclosed an exterior shot of this, but where the chimney has been removed, a large section of flashing as been fixed between both dwellings.

Had various quotes for new works and remedial works. A couple of guys came and did a load of work that stemmed the leaks and solved to condensation problem and we insulated the loft. They did numerous bits on a flat roof, etc, so no complaints on anything they did.

Going up into the loft after quite a heavy rain, there just some slight feeling of moisture purlins on enter the wall and some white residue.

It's not visible wet, it just feels, how can I put this, just a touch more than the dryest areas.

Similarly, some of the rafters are slightly darker against the felt. The felt is old and admittedly propped up where I discovered on this shoot that it had breached.

The roof has a few areas of light that can be seen - quite a bit along the ridge tiles as it happens - which had prompted the previous occupant to stuff various bin bags here and there to stem what must have been causing problems at some points.

Sorry to ramble but my general question is : is what you can see just a consequence of an old roof, some condensation and the general nature of a very old dwelling? Or if it isn't what's the general diagnosis in your esteemed opinions, please?

It would make my day for a bit of objective advice, and I would represent your good deed for the day.

Finally, a couple of patches of dark loft insulation - is that just how it was formed in the manufacturing process?

Thanks

Niven

//www.diynot.com/network/NivenSW/albums/

Hi folks,

I know I went into it a bit deeply, but if someone could cast their eyes over my photos and let me know what their wisdom tells me about what they see please. they would be helping a worried man out.

It's get very rainy here and I would like to get anything that needs doing done as soon as I can.

Many thanks

Niven

Sponsored Links
The white is not really a problem - old damp and salt staining

If after rain you see dark staining (like what appears to be on one of the purlins where it goes into the wall) then you have a leak there or a bit higher up.

If you have traditional tiles, then these do not leak unless a few are broken or missing in one place, or unless the ridge is in poor condition

The two purlins seem to have a slight bow which means they could be too thin for the width they are spanning. If they have been like that for a long time then they are probably OK. If recent replacements, then they could do with being a bit deeper

In a nutshell, inspect the roof externally for defective tiles and ridge - off a ladder or with binoculars. Go in the loft after prolonged rain and look for wet timber

The dark patches on the insulation appear to be normal with that type of material

You might want to open up the felt laps or put a few timber wedges in between them here and there to keep them open as this will aid ventilation to the roof space and minimise condensation

Hi Woody,

That is absolutely superb. Thanks for your time.

There seems to be quite a few areas of the ridge where patches of light can be seen, and area where the previous owner has wedged bin liners in.

So that might fit in with what you say is a ridge that's in poor conditon with water coming down and hitting that purlin possibly?

Niven

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back